Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
vieja_gw

Pomegranate flesh not red ...?

vieja_gw
9 years ago

We planted a 'Wonderful' pomegranate a few years ago & this year now have some fruit on it. The ? is that the fruit is big but the inside flesh is just 'pinkish' .. not red like it should be! I have another 'Wonderful' pome that is ? 50 yrs. old & it may freeze back some winters here in Albuquerque zone 7, then regrow the next year & then the third year produce a lot of fine fruit as it has done this year: grapefruit size of some, outside now splitting & the fruit inside a deep red & so juicy!
What is wrong with the new tree with its 'anemic' colored fruit?! The nursery tag says 'Wonderful' on it so the fruit should be red-not pink?! What a disappointment... any ideas?
BTW: I learned an easy way to separate the fruit from the pulp: cut/peal the 'pomes in a bucked of water ... the fruit/seeds fall to the bottom, the pulp floats on top & is easily removed, water with the fruit in the bottom can be poured off & cleaned seeds saved. This was something new to try for me at least!

Comments (5)

• Kevin Reilly
    9 years ago

Could have been mislabeled. There are varieties that have pink arils, sometimes just sweet (with no tart) and soft seeded.

• vieja_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Yes, this more pinkish fruit is rather sweet & tasty... not so tart as the old pomegranate bush has! I forgot to mention that the old bush's fruit when ripe is a deep red on the outside but the newer bush has fruit that has the green skin yet but has split & seems to be ripe ... strange! Would you have an idea of any 'pome varieties that have the sweeter, pinkish fruit? Will give it another year & may decide to keep it if we like the pinkish, sweeter fruit! In this area, the Wonderful seems to do well the past few years as we do get freezing temps in winter but if they die back, they come up the following year & then (if not another killing frost!) the next year produces fruit again. Any other ideas as to why a Wonderful (if it really is one!) would produce fruit like this ,,, soil, fertilizer, ?

• Fascist_Nation
    9 years ago

I assume the seeds are hard?

I assume the outside pf the peel is nice and red?

Heck yes, you should keep it if you like it.

With regard to shucking, in addition to what you discovered you can cut into the peel a third of the way from either the stem or calyx (I can't remember which end), separate the top without losing arils and use a large (wooden works well) spoon to whack the outside of the peel to shoot the arils contained within each of five membrane sacs into the collection container for some speed. Do it enough and one whack blows all the arils out of a chamber and into the water with a single whack.

This post was edited by Fascist_Nation on Sat, Oct 11, 14 at 20:11

• Kevin Reilly
    9 years ago

Eversweet is one type.

Here are DWN poms, look at the list see what you think...

As far as keeping it, if you like it, then keep it! I like them all (sweet, sweet tart, hard seed, soft seed, etc)

Here is a link that might be useful: Poms

• vieja_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

No, the outside of the peel is greenish-NOT red like my other one but seems ripe & has begun to split while on the tree as the other one does when real ripe..
    Thanks for all the info. folks... lots of things now to consider; never realized there were so many varieties of pomes!!