Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
poolecw

October strawberry planting

poolecw
10 years ago

Who's planting strawberries in October? Is there anything special that you do compared to typical spring strawberry planting?

Also, has anyone found an online source for purchasing strawberry plants for fall planting? I'm specifically looking for Allstar plants.

Comments (22)

• ltilton
    10 years ago

If you find them, let the rest of us know.

• gator_rider2
    10 years ago

This nursery ship if search you find more places on web.

Here is a link that might be useful: Mid November

• drew51 SE MI Z5b/6a
    10 years ago

Greenwood nursery is selling them for fall planting.

Don't most online sites sell for fall planting? it's the best time!!

Also go to this page to see who sells Allstar
    http://strawberryplants.org/2011/03/buy-strawberry-plants/#allstar

Nourse farms has them too for a better price, but not sure if it's for fall? This is an excellent nursery!!
    http://www.noursefarms.com/strawberry-plants/allstar/

Here is a link that might be useful: All Star at Greenwood

• calliope
    10 years ago

It is the time of year I harvest rooted runners off my mature plants and if they go from the old bed to the new, they take off and fly and produce next spring. It's a great time to plant strawberries if you can get them.

• happytomato2008
    10 years ago

In our zone 3- Northern Wisconsin we will plant strawberrys until the 15th of November. The late rains settle them in (Oct) and we sometimes will even mulch them.
    Judy

• flowersnhens
    10 years ago

I planted strawberry plants about 10 days ago, and i live in Maine. They are already perking up , so i am assuming they have taken root by now. I put them in real high quality dark rich compost ..homemade of course. : ) I have watered them two or three times since we have not had any rain, but they are looking great. I got them from a friend in Maryland who has them multiplying like crazy in their garden. I put some mulch hay around them too. I am assuming that doing this helps protect them from the extreme cold this winter.

• poolecw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I ended up ordering 25 bare root Cardinal strawberries from isons.com. They are near Griffin, GA. They also sell strawberry plugs in flats of 50.

They have a 10% coupon code... EARLYBIRD10

• ltilton
    10 years ago

Isons website says earlybird discount doesn't apply to plugs, btw

• milehighgirl
    10 years ago

I'm planting strawberries now too. I read on Nourse's website not to mulch with leaves. "Avoid decayed or wet leaves which can smother plants." I have sworn off of hay or straw since the weeds come with it. What does one suggest to mulch with?

• drew51 SE MI Z5b/6a
    10 years ago

"What does one suggest to mulch with?"

I use pine needles. Clean, keeps berries off the ground. Great for potted plants too.

• milehighgirl
    10 years ago

Okay, what does one use for mulch if one does not have pine needles? I have access to cedar bark fines, would this work okay?

• drew51 SE MI Z5b/6a
    10 years ago

Yes, I think they would be fine, Sometimes fine mulches stay wet too long but strawberries are really hard to overwater. They love water! They lke a slghtly acidic soil btw. They tolerate any soil but like soils in the 6.0 range. I have some growing in 5.0 with my blueberries.

• calliope
    10 years ago

I use pine straw as well. They might love water, but they do not like to have their crowns mired down with damp mulch, crown rot is a biggie with strawberries.

• drew51 SE MI Z5b/6a
    10 years ago

I use a lot of peat in my raised beds, so I have more of a problem of keeping them moist enough. Our springs are so wet, I feel it's needed. Really my beds are very much soiless mixes, like good potting soil. I do add compost though, but it is mixed with peat. It keeps the beds nice and dry, even in wet springs. By the end of the season you can see a reduction in peat and compost by the low soil level in the beds. I also add organic fertilizer and trace elements. I do use synthetic fertilizer for potted plants and blueberries. A small amount at each watering. Rain water is used when I have it. Always on blueberries.

• ltilton
    10 years ago

I've gone to plastic, but I have yet to see how well this is going to work.

• milehighgirl
    10 years ago

Okay, I admit I forgot that my dad has two acres of ponderosa pine. He has gathered up several large containers of needles for me. I have begun spreading them on top of the strawberries and I can see why they are a good mulch as they really do let air penetrate. For winter protection, how deep should the needles be above the crowns when first applied, or after they settle, which ever?

• drew51 SE MI Z5b/6a
    10 years ago

You know, I'm new at this really. I have never wintered them yet. I'm not sure? I'm going to pile them on fairly heavy. I figure if you see them, it's not enough...
    They can blow away a bit, but once settled, they tend not to move!
    My lawn mower likes them, no flying wood chips! I often hit the wood chips around my trees. So spillage with pine straw is no big deal.
    Another thing people think they are prickly, but the species I'm using are really quite soft! No way could you prick yourself with them. Once off the tree they soften up!
    I think mine are from white pines? Really great in pots too!
    Plus they really don't tie up much nitrogen to decompose. Some plants I add compost in the spring, I just put it over the straw, and add new straw. You wouldn't want to do that with wood chips. This year with my new blueberry planting I incorporated the straw right into the soil, and they grew like gangbusters, like 2 feet of growth. So I didn't observe any nitrogen tie up.

I must admit it's going to be hard to completely cover some. Here is one 4x4 bed. A Chandler blueberry in the center (first year). Notice how crazy my strawberries grew! And I removed over 20 runners already, it just filled back up! I need to thin it down again! (pine needles are in the soil here too) Behind the bed is a wall of raspberry plants. As you can clearly see, it's been a good growing year here in MI.

This post was edited by Drew51 on Fri, Oct 18, 13 at 12:53

• dori53
    10 years ago

I'm in Southern California... I was wondering what are the best varieties to plant? I just found out this is a good month to get them in. I don't know what zone I'm in, we are near the ocean.

• ltilton
    10 years ago

I just read in the state newsletter that growers using plasticulture should be getting their crops under row covers. Makes me wonder what kind of row covers.

• sdelafuente
    10 years ago

I received 25 bare root Ozark Strawberries from a seller in Ebay for $13. I placed 20 of them in 2 inch pots to see the growth. After 2 days the leaves started opening. This weekend I will place some in pots and others in the ground.

• ltilton
    10 years ago

Be sure to get the crowns at the soil level when you replant them. Some of those are too high in those little pots.

• sdelafuente
    10 years ago

I plant them in a raised bed now. And I made sure to get the crowns. I had to be watering them daily in those little pots.

Sponsored
M&Z Home Services LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Established Home Remodeling Expert Since 2012