Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What is this jelly-like substance on my fruit trees

Posted by iamzvonko 5 (My Page) on
Fri, Oct 18, 13 at 23:20

I have this jelly-like substance on and at bottom of my fruit trees. Anyone have any idea what it is?

This first picture is from my cherry tree

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What is this jelly-like substance on my fruit trees

This one is from my nectarine tree

o

This stuff was at the bottom of a peach tree up against the trunk right under the top layer of dirt

o

Probably bacterial canker.

o

It could be Gummosis caused by Peach Tree Borer. Brady

o

Gumosis is a fungal disease. What you have looks more like a bad case of borers. Scrape off the goo and you should find entrance holes and borers inside the tree. You can dig them out with a thin screw driver or wire coat hanger. If you don't dig them out, they will eventually kill the tree. Once you dig them out, be sure
to cover the damaged areas with a good tree sealer.

o

What is a good tree sealer?

o

It's an asphalt like substance that is used to repair tree wounds. You can buy it at Walmart.

o

I have the same thing on both of my cherry trees (a Meteor and Northstar planted about 3 years ago) though one is worse than the other. The gum deposits are especially bad in the crotch of the trees where the scaffold branches come together. This is also the location where I pruned off a central leader (in Feb. or March) to give a more open vase shape. Maybe this helped spread the disease unfortunately. I did scrape it off best I could but didn't see any evidence of borers. The most likely cause seems to be bacterial canker. The other issue I've had with these trees is Cherry leaf spot disease. I'm starting to re-think cherries as a relatively low maintenance fruit tree for the the mid-atlantic area.

o

Whatever it is it must have been a fruit borrer insect first and then fungus or parasite. I am in Toronto Canada and my young frost peach tree was doing this and it literally infected my hole tree. jelly was even coming out everywhere. It usually happened after a hard rainfall. someone gave me a suggestion not sure if it was this site. They said crush garlic tabs and mix with hydrogen peroxide. Here is what I did. I took lots of granulated garlic mixed with hydrogen peroxide and put in a large bowl. Then I placed my hand in the bowl and cupped some of the solution. I guess you could use a turkey baster as well. Placed it on the affected areas. If you are doing this while it is wet and jelly is coming out. The sugesstion was to take out the jelly with your hands before applying the garlic-hydrogen peroxided solution. Anyways I placed the solution on the affected areas and massaged the damaged area to try to get all the solution. The remaining solution I placed around the ground around the tree trunk. So far no more Jelly. You need to do this monthly until you see no more jelly. I believe the garlic-hydrogen peroxide solution killed whatever parisite was growing there. I believe a lot of fresh garlic finely crushed from a blender would possibly work too.

o

• Posted by bart1 6/7 Northern VA (My Page) on
    Tue, May 20, 14 at 14:52

I've been using moth balls to prevent the borers. And, knock on wood (strong, uninfected wood!) I haven't had the problem in a bunch of years.

I just poke 4 to 6 moth balls into the soil around the trunk once in the early spring and then again later in the season when the original moth balls disolve. So far so good on borers!

o

Rhewton-
I had the same thought and have the same issues as you.

o

Years ago all of my wild black cherry trees bleed jelly out so bad it made a two foot circle of a puddle on the grass. The bore holes are tiny. They're about 1/32" holes and thousands of them. The trees didn't show any die back, but the bark is full of holes! It looks like it should have killed them. I have gull in my spruce trees too. They are small like that, but go in the new growth.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here