Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
acchance

blueberries coming in 3 days - help!!

acchance
11 years ago

Hello - I know I can find some good advice here....I feel incredibly lucky that I am being 'gifted' four large highbush blueberry plants from a house/lot that is scheduled for a teardown.

I only found out two days ago and the bushes need to be dug and delivered three days from now due to impending teardown. I have the perfect place for them - south facing, gentle slope at the base of a four ft high retaining rock wall - about 24 ft long. I spent 2 days tearing out crap foundation shrubs that were put in by previous owners and that I've been wanting to get rid of for 7 yrs. Burning bush has a ridiculous root system! And I found a buried gun...but that's another story.

Anyhow, now I need to fill the bed - I dug out much of the junk 'fill' that had been used from when the wall was built. What's a good, affordable way to fill and plant? Will they be ok if I use composted leaf mulch (I have a LOT of it) plus a few bags of peat moss? Should I be adding pelleted sulfur as we're going into winter, or just wait for spring and then ph test the soil. I do plan to cover with a good healthy layer of mulch - should be easy enough to rake some pine needles. Any other advice?

Thanks in advance!

Comments (3)