Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Rhubarb Contributes to Fall Colors

Posted by larry_gene z8/Sunset6 OR (My Page) on
Tue, Oct 20, 09 at 23:31

Who needs to take a trip to New England when they have rhubarb in the yard?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Rhubarb Contributes to Fall Colors

Pretty. Mine never does that, just turns ugly greenish/yellow and dies. Could be a climate thing or a cultivar thing.

o

Stunning.

A question: I have ten year-old rhubarb plants that I did not harvest from this year. Would it be feasible to harvest their stalks now before they succumb to frost or do they need to stay on until dead?? I know not to harvest after a killing frost as the dangerous oxalic acid in the leaves migrates back into the stalks. I guess I'm being impatient, but I'd sure love some fresh rhubarb now.

Thanks,

Brook

o

Brook, as long as the stalks haven't gotten either so tough and woody or so soft and spongy as to be unsuable, not a problem, go ahead.

o

larry_gene, what variety is that?

o

I have no idea, these are plant that came with the house purchased in 1990. The first picture is of a plant with thick red stalks and the second picture below is of a plant with medium-thick green stalks. They are probably common varieties found prior to 1990. 31 pounds harvested from the two plants this year, 10 pounds remain, all flat on the ground.

o

That's encouraging. I thought rhubarb only grew in real cold climates. It has never survived for me here. Perhaps it would be worth re-trying.

Does it get full sun in summer? Wish I new the variety.

Bejay

o

I'm in Portland, zone 8; you're zone 10--if on the west coast, would be the equivalent of Sacramento. I think you'd have to keep the rhubarb watered daily and partially shaded in that climate.

Even in Portland, I see mostly spindly, suffering rhubarb. It is usually planted in poor, dry, weedy soil by many casual gardeners. Even this will provide one seasonal dessert when combined with strawberries, that is what most people want out of rhubarb.

So the growing conditions matter more than the variety.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here