Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
clarkinks

Gullible for sweet cherries

clarkinks
9 years ago

I've always been a bit gullible when it comes to sweet cherries. I've planted them plenty of times and the root stock survives and the sweet cherry doesn't. I grafted yet another one over to a tart cherry this summer. I thought I succeeded with a black tartarian only to find out it was also just rootstock. Do you have suggestion? It's never about the zone because they will grow in zone 5b it's more about the soil and the timing of the weather. They grow best in zone 5 by my understanding. I know people around here grow them. I elevated the area where I grow them to allow for drainage which allows any cherry rootstock to grow there. I think it's just a matter of variety. A friend has one about 10 miles from here that is a smaller sweet cherry of unknown origin. I may just need to graft mine over to that type and accept that but I would have much rather grown a bing type. Maybe I'm expecting to much what are your thoughts on Stella,lapins,bing, Rainer etc. Will they only grow in the small amount of micro climates they are popular in and is it just to hot here in the summer?

This post was edited by ClarkinKS on Sun, Oct 19, 14 at 5:44

Comments (16)

• alan haigh
    9 years ago

Kristin is a very tough one from Norway. I'm not sure how available it is these days and you would need a pollinator. Proven hardy in Z5 and milder parts of Z4 according to FB and N Inventory. I used to have one here but cut it down because it was more work than it was worth- cracking fruit when it rained near ripening and needing netting- but I don't bother with any cherries currently- they've all shared that description.

Van might be a good mate as is considered one of the hardiest sweet cherries- good to Z4.

• alan haigh
    9 years ago

I should have mentioned White Gold, which I may try myself to see if the birds ignore its pure yellow fruit here. It is self fertile, readily available and hardy to Z4. The quality won't be like a good Bing type but I'm sure it will be good enough given what else is available off your own trees in June.

• clarkinks
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks Harvestman I will look into those varieties.

• clarkinks
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Harvestman I found a link with pollinators for Kristin. If my understanding is correct a Van cherry would be a good pollinator for any cherry is that correct? Do you have a recommendation on who to order the cherries from? Would you recommend a spring planting or go ahead and plant this fall? I saw One green world has them but their ratings are not the greatest
    Starkbros might be the way to go on the white gold but is out of stock on Kristin http://www.starkbros.com/products/fruit-trees/cherry-trees/whitegold-sweet-cherry

Here is a link that might be useful: Kristin pollinators

• bob_z6
    9 years ago

Grandpas Orchard has both Kristen and WhiteGold, but I don't think they would ship to zone 5 in the fall. I suspect that they would have both for spring shipping though.

• clarkinks
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Bob they are nearly $30 on shipping for two trees. Their trees look great and they are highly rated but shipping is why I have never ordered from them. I have a bunch of cherry root stock in the ground as well so if I wait until spring I may find a scion wood source.

• mamuang_gw
    9 years ago

I like Raintree nursery for cherries and E. plum. Their cherries are on Gisela5 which can be kept low, easy for netting and harvesting.

It has Kristin, White Gold, Blck Gold and others.

After a few years of growing sweet cherries, I conclude that it is one friut that my home grown is not as good or better than store bought ones. I was comtemplating cutting down my Vandalay this morning before reading your post. I still may cut it down. It either cracked or was taken by birds or both every year.

• ltilton
    9 years ago

I grow White Gold, and it's not pure yellow. The fruits have a definite red blush, and last year mine went all-red.

• fruitnut Z7 4500ft SW TX
    9 years ago

Sweet cherry are the most difficult fruit I grow in my greenhouse. They don't set well due to lack of pollen and deformed flowers. Can't tell you why. Even with 1300 chill hrs last winter no better.

Outdoors I spent ~$1,000 before cutting down the trees.

But have found varieties I like with the 20-50% crop I've gotten in the greenhouse. Like Selah, Van, Bing, Lapins, Sandra Rose, Skeena, and Sonata. Brix has run 24-32 on those varieties. They all taste good. Can't really tell that much difference in those. But cherries appear to be location sensitive. What tastes great in one location may have a bad taste in another. Ones that taste bad here are Regina, Royal Edie, Royal Helen, and Chelen.

• clarkinks
    Original Author
    9 years ago

mamuang I hope you don't cut it down. Do you top graft them to another variety? I graft my rejects over to sour cherries which are relatively easy to grow here. ltilton is the flavor pretty good on white gold? fruitnut the sweet cherries do seem to be picky on their growing requirements. I wasted a lot of money as well growing them in the orchard and lost a couple of large orders before I learned our clay/lome soil does not drain as fast as they like. I now grow them on artificial hills I made similar to terraces and the rootstock grows fine there. I went and checked them out this morning and the rootstock did fine I started this year.

This post was edited by ClarkinKS on Sun, Oct 19, 14 at 15:52

• milehighgirl
    9 years ago

I have Kristin and Black Gold. I admit that I haven't had much fruit because of late frosts and really cold blasts. My Kristin died almost down to the rootstock it's second year, but I was able to regrow it. The Black Gold has done well and I found the fruit to be quite good. It is more firm than a Bing, and there is less pulp around the pit. I don't recall having had fruit from the Kristin yet.

• clarkinks
    Original Author
    9 years ago

milehighgirl that's encouraging that you can grow them. How big is your black gold?

• ltilton
    9 years ago

I like the White Gold a lot, as I've always like the white cherries.

• mamuang_gw
    9 years ago

Clark,

I consider grafting a Black Tartarian since my neighbor will give me scionwood. I may try to graft other varieties on Vandalay.

My Black Gold cannot be considered firm at all esp. when compare to Bing. I got about 2 lbs this year. Brix was about 16-17.5. Lots of rot, more than 50%. It tasted good enough to keep but not as good as Bing (I am talking about Bing from supermarket.)

It could be that different locations give different result.

• alan haigh
    9 years ago

I did err on suggesting white gold was a pure yellow. Seems like a bit of a misnomer- Blushing gold might have been more appropriate, but I was presumptuous and didn't even read the description. Birds only need a red blush to be drawn to the fruit in my experience with Ranier.

I don't think it makes much difference if you plant in spring instead of fall and wouldn't base my source on providing that slight or non-advantage.

• clarkinks
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Found an old thread that discusses several varieties of the above recommended sweet cherries. I think I will revive the thread and see how the trees are doing in similar zone ranges http://forums2.gardenweb.com/forums/load/fruit/msg0411580118569.html?6187