Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
steve_in_los_osos

are Triple Crown blackberries typical?

steve_in_los_osos
10 years ago

My only exposure to blackberries has been commercial jam until I grew my own TCs this year (I have been growing boysenberries for years). They are certainly black (when fully ripe) and they have a flavor that is quite distinct from a boysenberry.

I was surprised to see that they turn rather red when frozen and I just made a pie yesterday and it is alarmingly red. It tastes wonderful (company raved, as company will...) but it actually tastes more like boysenberry than the flavor of the uncooked TC blackberries (no, I labeled the freezer containers).

So, do they color commercial blackberry jam to make it look "black" or does freezing somehow radically alter the fruit?!

Comments (10)

• drew51 SE MI Z5b/6a
    10 years ago

Freezing has always turned my wild blackberries red too. But usually the color returns upon cooking. So my jam looks like blackberry jam.

• larry_gene
    10 years ago

It varies by variety; my triple crowns stay darker when frozen than other varieties, but all have a noticeable purplish tinge with red highlights.

I saw a web page once that included a column on the post-freezing color per variety, but I can't come up with it now.

I have always slow-frozen berries (room temperature, then into the refrigerator for hours, then into the refrigerator freezer, then into the deep-freezer. That may help keep the berries dark, check out
    Freezing rate and color change of blackberries

• bob_z6
    10 years ago

Here's a pic of my Triple Crown on their way to becoming jelly. They were never frozen, but had spent a few days in the fridge.

• steve_in_los_osos
    Original Author
    10 years ago

That's what my pie looks like! (color-wise, I mean....)

• drew51 SE MI Z5b/6a
    10 years ago

Well it looks like Triple Crown is not typical. I looked at my wild blackberry jam again, and it is also red, not as much as this though. But I have made jam from store bought blackberries and it was darker. So i think TC is not typical. I'll know more next year when i have a number of my own cultivars fruting.

• larry_gene
    10 years ago

I've never had anything nearly that red in any of my triple crown processing during freezing, juicing, pureeing, baking, etc. All my product is very dark.

I don't know how you can get that red of a blackberry, must be alchemy of some sort.

I just pulled some TC out of the freezer, the circular pattern is ice that had formed on the cover. That's as red as mine get.

{{gwi:125517}}

• larry_gene
    10 years ago

Is there any ascorbic acid or lemon juice being applied pre- or post-freezing to the berries? Anthocyanins, that contribute to the dark color of blackberries, can turn pink in an acid environment.

• steve_in_los_osos
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I used a small amount (1/2 tsp?) of grated lemon peel in my pie. But I have to say that the berries have a goodly amount of acid as it is. As a retired chemistry teacher I'm not discounting the potential effect, but it seems like a drop in the bucket compared to the existing acid. Of course, if the bucket is already full....

Which leads me to wonder if the acidity of the berries themselves is the cause. I live in a cool summer area and although I attempted to pick the berries at their best, I can't say that each was perfectly ripe or that the really ripe ones were as sweet as they might be somewhere warmer.

• bob_z6
    10 years ago

I didn't apply anything to mine. They were probably a bit under-ripe, as SWD started hitting them bad and I decided to use what I could. Hopefully it isn't the SWD worms which give it the color (uch...).

Here is a picture of the berries before being boiled.

• drew51 SE MI Z5b/6a
    10 years ago

It's the use of under ripe berries as to why they are so red. Good for cooking all the same. Anyway I think that may be why.