Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sheckylovejoy_gw

Protecting fruit trees and berries from critters

sheckylovejoy
9 years ago

Last spring we planted some fruit trees and berries and a small veggie patch. Even on the limited fruit we had this year, birds and squirrels got most of it, quickly followed by ants once the skin was broken.

Common pests are birds, squirrels, roof rats, possums, raccoons and on the rare occasion something larger. This is the San Fernando Valley in So Cal, so insects are less of a problem than elsewhere

Anyway, I want to be prepared for next summer. Here's what we have:

Trees: apple, peach, fig, orange, grapefruit and pomegranate. I am keeping them all under 7' tall and bushy

berries: Strawberries, blueberries, raspberries

For the veggie patch, I just throw some bird netting over the trellis poles and stake it down, which does the trick for the most part.

The strawberries are all in one bed, so I'm going to make some lightweight cages for them.

The trees are all in a small bed 11' x 14' and I'm mostly concerned about the figs, peaches and apples. The pomegranates and the citrus see much less damage. I was hoping to find a big cage that would fit over the whole bed, something that was temporary that I could leave up from June-October and then store away until the following summer. There are several companies that make something like this in the UK, but they don't ship to California, and are meant to be permanent structures in any event.

The only thing I could find stateside is this:

http://www.amazon.com/Gardman-7662-Fruit-Cage-Large/dp/B007KKVWBY

Two of those would cover everything but the citrus, but I'm less worried about those. It doesn't get very good reviews on Amazon.

I've also thought of buying a giant tent and just using the frame with some bird netting. Or DIY it, but I'm not feeling up to it.

So if you know of any products that would cover the trees, I'd love to know about it

The blueberries are arranged in a wide circle around a jacaranda tree. They will each need their own cage or netting, so any recommendations on that are welcome.

The raspberry vines are trellised up against the house, and I'm also not sure what to do about that.

Thanks for reading this.

Comments (5)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!