Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
darrytheprince

need help from experienced cantaloupe/ watermelon growers?

darrytheprince
10 years ago

I decided to grow cantaloupe this year, along with some watermelon that didnt make it. It was my first time so i told myself that if i got one melon id be satisfied. Well thats exactly what i got, just one....a very small one. Its about the size of a softball. If you live in texas, especially the houston area youll see that its been getting colder lately. Ill admit i planted the melons a little late and it took me too long to learn how to pollinate properly but i thought theyd be done by now. I want to try again in the upcomming spring and this time hopefully ill be better prepared. If you can give me any kind of help on the following, ill greatly appreciate it.
1) The melons, excuse me, MELON i grew is pretty small, i expected it to be not as big as the farm raised ones cus its grown organically but not the size of a softball.
2)When the melons did finally get properly pollinated and grew, i could only grow one per vine, then the plant would stop making female flowers, and the leaves that came after it were tiny, scrunched up, with tiny male flowers.
3) the watermelon would seem to be doing fine untill it got about baseball sized and it would turn brown and mushy on the ends and eventually die
4)also need to know the best time in texas to plant melons
5)There were ants everywhere in aliance with aphids, why? And how do i get rid of wasps that seem to love my vines
6)any other tips for future problems i may run in to will be greatly appreciated

Comments (2)