Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bfreeman_sunset20

Any Info on Kiwi Vine Cuttings?

bfreeman_sunset20
16 years ago

I cant find any info on propagating kiwis by cuttings, other then that it is possible.

Comments (5)

• denninmi
    16 years ago

I've rooted cuttings of my hardy kiwis several times. I've done it by taking about six to eight inch cuttings, dipping the ends in rooting hormone, planting them with the cut end about three inches deep in a pot of soil. I've done this in the early spring, while still dormant or just coming out of dormancy. Bottom heat would help considerably. They seem to have about a 50% success rate, so when I've done it, I would put six or eight cuttings in about an 8" pot, and then I would usually get three or four to root, which is certainly more than adequate, given the rampant nature of the plant. I've also read that they can be rooted from soft cuttings of terminal growth in the summer.

• tyler_j
    16 years ago

I put the pot with cuttings in a clear plastic bag tied to keep the humidity. I don't put it in direct sunlight though as that would fry the cuttings. Last year I had an Arctic Beauty cutting that would not root however it had new growth the grew out 8" or so and even produced flowers on the new shoot. All without a single root on the cutting lol!! I eventually gave up on that cutting and cut the new growth and it rooted fine in a few weeks. 2 litre plastic pop bottles with the bottom cut off work well to cover the cuttings too.

• axier - Z10, Basque Country (Spain)
    16 years ago

See the link below, it is originally in french.

Here is a link that might be useful: La bouture herbacée des actinidias (kiwis)

• kiwinut
    16 years ago

Axier, That is interesting, how they insert a grain of wheat in the end of the cutting.

Green cuttings are easy to root for just about any Actinidia, but dormant cuttings are very hit and miss. It probably depends a lot on the cultivar. The problem with dormant cuttings, is they will often leaf out long before roots develop, and expend stored energy reserves. The best trick is to use bottom heat, while keeping the tops cool to suppress growth. One method for doing this, that is said to work well for difficult to root grapes, and may work for Actinidia (I have not yet tried this), is to bury the cuttings upside down in sand outdoors in spring, with the bottom end an inch or two below the surface. The sun will warm the surface along with the bottom of the cuttings, but the top of the cuttings down deeper will stay cool. You can brush the sand away periodically to inspect the cuttings. When roots start to appear, you then dig out the cuttings and plant them in the normal manner.

• axier - Z10, Basque Country (Spain)
    16 years ago

Kiwinut, yes it is interesting. It is said that wheat, when germinates, releases rooting hormones. I haven't tried it and I don't know if it is true, but it is original at least!