Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
konrad___far_north

No need to order bare root in late fall for zone 4

And colder.

Roots don't grow anymore,..it was proven.
Trees sit in the hole subject to root freezer burn, rodent
damage or winter kill.

ONLY plant potted trees.

So much better in spring..
buy in spring and and see them grow right away, ..not waiting over a half a year to find out if alive or dead,..[warranty issue]

I'm glad, my purchase from Green Barn was in spring, [4 dead trees]

Sure, nurseries love to sell them,...it's their second income.

Comments (22)

• RedSun (Zone 6, NJ)
    9 years ago

Come on, no sour grape since you live in Zone 3 or 4. Fall planting is great is you are in the right zone.

No 2nd income for the nurseries. When they grow 1,000 trees, they sell 1,000 trees, no matter fall or spring.

• Konrad___far_north
    Original Author
    9 years ago

>>Fall planting is great is you are in the right zone. Come on, even in your zone spring is better!

You don't make sense, ..more trees sold in fall more income!

• Konrad___far_north
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Nurseries like to sell in the fall, [more profit = more income]

Why...trees / plants are at their prime shape, no extra work and expense required to store in a cool room, most need energy to warm up in frigid weather.

• RedSun (Zone 6, NJ)
    9 years ago

Why do you care how much $ the nurseries make??

For the same $10 tree, if I can get it now for fall planting, I'll buy it now. I do not care how much nurseries make. I just care how much I pay....

I always like to plant trees in the fall and I've not lost any trees due to the weather, even last winter. Not a single tree lost due to cold weather. Even though I neglected all my fruit trees the past few years. I'll take care of them this year.

• appleseed70
    9 years ago

Konrad is right. There is no doubt fall planting can be successful and at times is advisable, I've looked into this a lot. Just about everything I've ever read suggested spring planting for a whole host of different reasons some of which mentioned by Konrad.

Redsun if you like fall planting then by all means do it. You can plant in February if you like, but Konrad is still right. His trees and obvious success are proof of his experience and knowledge. I've also done both and spring is always better. In Z6 you gain little if anything in fall planting, but trees must still run the gauntlet for an unnecessary winter.

BTW Redsun...weren't you the guy who argued potted trees are what you plant because they establish better? I think so. Konrad is talking about bare root and he said potted was ok. ??????

• RedSun (Zone 6, NJ)
    9 years ago

For zone 3 or zone 4, there is no fall planting. So why konrad keeps saying the nurseries make more $ by selling in fall?? He should just totally forgets about fall planting.

From what I know, fall planted trees come out stronger in spring. At least in my zone and the trees I planted. Here our weather is still 65/35 now. Roots certainly can still grow.

I do not argue anything. All are people's opinions. Both fall and spring plantings can be good. Both bare root and container trees can be good. For the folks who want the satisfaction to have fruits the next spring, they can certainly run to Lowe's to get a potted tree. So they do not have to wait for 3-4 years.

Different people wear different glasses and different hats. There is not perfect right or wrong....

• FrozeBudd_z3/4
    9 years ago

Being a fellow cold zoner, I totally agree with Konrad's comments. Potted trees are great to plant in the fall, as they have retained a full root system and will continue to produce new roots until the ground becomes too cold to do so. Though, trees that have been dug in the fall and shipped with their amputated roots, these will NOT have sufficient time to callus and make new roots before the onset of cold and the ground freezing, thus they'll be extra susceptible to desiccation and dieback ... so, spring bareroot planting is always best in the north. Besides, Konrad's comments had never been directed to those who live in much milder regions with their longer and warmer autumns.

Terrance

• RedSun (Zone 6, NJ)
    9 years ago

Huh? just some terrible rants about not being able to plant bare root trees in fall in Zone 3. I feel sorry for your pain.

Then move to Zone 6, zone 7 and zone 8. Then you'll be happy.

I figure this is just some personality. Joking is joking, but do not get it too far.

• mamuang_gw
    9 years ago

RedSun,

I do not consider Konrad's posts "rants". I consider them advice/suggestions.

Have you read his posts for say, the last five years. I've found your comments here and on other threads a bit harsh/rude. Your have your opinions, Konrad has his plus tons of experience.

• RedSun (Zone 6, NJ)
    9 years ago

mamuang, do you know it is rude to say someone else is rude??

From the beginning, it appears konrad is half joking. Then I was half joking too. I know he is not happy for being in far north cold zone.

Then when he said again and again about nursery making $ for selling the plants for the fall, I knew he must have had bad experience with the nurseries.

Just to be fair, the nurserymen are not easy. Some of the wholesale growers sell the grafted fruit trees for less than $10 each. With the shrinkage and all the other costs, they do not make much money.

I'll be happy for them to earn a few bucks from me if they offer the trees I want. Fall season is a great planting season for me.

Anyhow, i do not have time to spend on all the BS. Joking is joking. Do not mix things together....

• FrozeBudd_z3/4
    9 years ago

RedSun, you are not situated in zone 4 or lower,so why are you then so caught up on the subject? Konrad has a large thriving orchard and many years of experience of dealing with the challenges of a northern climate, he knows what works and what doesn't work for him, just as you also know what practices are most successful for yourself under whatever challenges you may experience.

• rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
    9 years ago

RedSun

I can't find Konrad's terrible rants...I read lots of his postings for last 2yrs...what am I missing?

And how do you know I know he is not happy for being in far north cold zone. ...

I shouldn't post this...but...never mind...

• RedSun (Zone 6, NJ)
    9 years ago

haha, where do all the little Konrads come from? From arctic north?

It started from a half hearted joke and where we go from here?

Just a bunch of ixxx, :-)

• SouthCountryGuy Zone 4b-5 SE BC
    9 years ago

Agreed Rina but over all the forums this annoys me.

RedSun - I am not usually this blunt but have you Ever heard the saying it is better to keep you mouth shut and look like an idiot than open it and remove all doubt? If you haven't you have now.

Don't disrespect people that have forgotten more than you know. All kidding aside.

Please reply and prove my point.

SCG

• FrozeBudd_z3/4
    9 years ago

RedSun, unfortunately, you're digging yourself a hole and making yourself appear both immature and tactless.

• olpea
    9 years ago

I guess I don't mind being classified as a "little Konrad" on this thread. He's helped me through his forum advice over the years, and personally assisted me in designing an apple press (even though I've never built it).

I'm OK with people that are a bit abrasive by nature, but there is a fine line between being abrasive and unkind. It's good to know the difference.

• RedSun (Zone 6, NJ)
    9 years ago

SouthCountryGuy, you are just the idiot you just said....

• SouthCountryGuy Zone 4b-5 SE BC
    9 years ago

Haha, Confirned!!!

• Konrad___far_north
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you all for putting RedSun in line.
    He seems not wanting to get it.
    Agree, he shouldn't even be commenting here,...not hes zone,
    for some reason, he has something against me.

>>Why do you care how much $ the nurseries make?? >>Just to be fair, the nurserymen are not easy. Some of the wholesale growers sell the grafted fruit trees for less than $10 each. With the shrinkage and all the other costs, they do not make much money. North of the border it is more like $50.00
    If you have money to burn then it doesn't matter, all I want is to make aware that you can save some time and money by planting in spring. Putting trees in the fall you'll end up loose more, most don't care about warranty, [purchase was done last year] and just order again,...which means more sales for the nursery, [good for the nursery] but with the expense / loss of the buyer.

I don't buy many trees, mostly I grow from seeds then graft, ...just had the urge last spring to test some zone pushing variates, [couple zone 4] from Green Barn, unfortunately they sent me 4 dead trees, [out of 10] 40%, most of the rest were disappointing.
    I'm suspecting that trees were stored improperly, roots looked like they were put in water for weeks if not month!
    In this case I guess it wouldn't have mattered if planted in the fall.

Getting trees in spring, [growing season] makes only sense,
    ...you can give the nursery feed back right away for progress without a half year delay,...fresh in memory!

Yes, it was a bad experience!

Here is a link that might be useful: http://forums2.gardenweb.com/forums/load/fruit/msg050012202514.html?36

• RedSun (Zone 6, NJ)
    9 years ago

Haha, in line for what??

I do not know you, never single interaction with you. How don't I like you??? I like everybody here :-)

If this originally was a joke, or a troll, then just keep that way. Why suddenly folks get serious?

I'm sorry to hear that you'll have to pay $50 to get a tree and trees die so often. So I guess this is why you are so much against the greedy nursery money makers?

I'm grateful that my fall season is the best time to plant fruit trees. I pay much less to get good quality trees and I can plant many varieties. So it is great that those trees are available for fall season.

So if you do not have success with fall planting, do not lament the nursery men, blame your weather. Still wish you good luck with spring planting :-)))

• rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
    9 years ago

...best to ignore...

• RedSun (Zone 6, NJ)
    9 years ago

I do not think you are ignoring anything. People are so serious?!
    For what?

Sponsored
Davidson Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full-Scale General Contractor