Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
beeonegw

Green Apples

Beeone
12 years ago

Last week I came across some green yet ripe apples nearby and I'm wondering what guesses people might have as to the variety. The apples are on an older tree, the people who planted it are no longer around although the tree is probably only 30-50 years old.

The apples are a very nice green, kind of like a Granny Smith, with a lighter, yellowish blush on the sunny side. Very round shaped. They have a nice flavor, not tart but not sweet, either, and the seeds are brown indicating they are ripe. They are also very crisp. Most likely they were purchased from one of the larger mail order nurseries. I know the information is pretty sparse, but I'd welcome any guesses.

Also, when I ate one of the apples, it is very dense and almost a little chalky--like eating a green apple before it is ripe even though the juice and flavor and sweetness says it is ripe. Just curious if this would indicate this is a good keeper or a winter apple that will improve in texture with some storage?

Based on timing, I would guess it isn't a Lodi since it is way too late, and probably not a Granny Smith since it is too early from what I've read and they probably aren't hardy here. Otherwise, I'm not familiar with green apple varieties though it would be a late apple in Zone 4.

Comments (4)

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths