Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Green Apples

Posted by beeone 4 N. Wyo. (My Page) on
Fri, Nov 4, 11 at 1:31

Last week I came across some green yet ripe apples nearby and I'm wondering what guesses people might have as to the variety. The apples are on an older tree, the people who planted it are no longer around although the tree is probably only 30-50 years old.

The apples are a very nice green, kind of like a Granny Smith, with a lighter, yellowish blush on the sunny side. Very round shaped. They have a nice flavor, not tart but not sweet, either, and the seeds are brown indicating they are ripe. They are also very crisp. Most likely they were purchased from one of the larger mail order nurseries. I know the information is pretty sparse, but I'd welcome any guesses.

Also, when I ate one of the apples, it is very dense and almost a little chalky--like eating a green apple before it is ripe even though the juice and flavor and sweetness says it is ripe. Just curious if this would indicate this is a good keeper or a winter apple that will improve in texture with some storage?

Based on timing, I would guess it isn't a Lodi since it is way too late, and probably not a Granny Smith since it is too early from what I've read and they probably aren't hardy here. Otherwise, I'm not familiar with green apple varieties though it would be a late apple in Zone 4.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Green Apples

Granny Smith does get a yellowish blush on the sun side if allowed to stay on the tree long enough. Does your apple have little white dots on the skin? Given the age of the tree it is most likely a popular commercial variety like Granny Smith.

o

One hint will be if the lenticles (dots) are white, that would indicate Granny Smith. If they are black, it may mean White Winter Pearmain. If it turns lemon yellow after a month of storage in the garage, definately White Winter Pearmain.

o

Thanks, folks. The dots are white, so that must push it towards Granny Smith. I'll see how it stores. I've never heard of Granny Smith surviving here and they seem to be rated as a late apple--like the end of November, which means ice cube apple here. The one time I had a real Granny Smith Apple was many years ago in southern Ariz. in December and it was very good--seems it was very similar to these in that it had a nice flavor, nice and sweet, juicy.

o

I agree that Granny Smith would not get edible in Z4 as its picking time is about mid nov. here. In a good sun, Rhode Island Greening will get a bit sweet and be a pleasing apple, but I don't know about lenticles

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here