Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print

My home has been absolutely overrun the last 2 weeks with some kind of what I believe is a stink bug of some kind. I know when I kill them they smell like green apples (strange!) and based on that and their appearance Google tells me these may be "western conifer seed bugs" but I'm in middle Tennessee and don't know what they are for sure??? Everyone who lives in my area is talking about the same thing. What makes it even more bizzare is that neither myself or anyone else in my area has EVER had a problem with these bugs or seen any in a house in past years.
My question to you all is: since I know stink bugs can be a problem for fruit, am I likely to be in for a terrible time next spring/summer? Are other areas of the country seeing a major increase of these critters? Will the regular sprays (for me that basically means triazicide) take care of these things? Thanks.

Comments (14)

• Bradybb WA-Zone8
    9 years ago

They are here also,more than I've seen before,but nothing like your description,about a dozen spotted the last month or two.
    Wikipedia lists their food as mostly the sap of developing conifer cones,but can be invasive in areas with those kind of plants nearby as they look for places to stay during Winter.
    I'm not sure about the control.
    I just read on another site that an arctic blast can make them move closer to warmth. Brady

This post was edited by Bradybb on Thu, Nov 13, 14 at 4:05

• alan haigh
    9 years ago

Are you sure they aren't browm marmerated stinkbugs. Google them and come back here.

• RobThomas
    9 years ago

These are probably "leaf-footed" bugs. They actually do feed on fruits and veggies, and they are in our area. They look very similar to the conifer bug.

See link.

Here is a link that might be useful: Leaf-footed bug

• lucky_p
    9 years ago

I'm betting on BMSBs. Reports I've seen suggest that they are prone to moving 'indoors' to overwinter.

• appleseed70
    9 years ago

I'm betting on BMSBs. Reports I've seen suggest that they are prone to moving 'indoors' to overwinter.

They most definitely do seek to get in warm areas for sure. They sure as Hell don't smell like green apples though.

I agree though...BMSB would be my bet, but if it is I don't get the "green apple" thing.

• alan haigh
    9 years ago

BMSB are now very well established in the region (really an epidemic), well known winter tenants of homes and easily identified with photos very accessible on the internet. Let City comment after doing a bit of research. He's the only one who can match the insect with photos.

• wilson853
    9 years ago

Sounds like it could be the kudzu bug.

• greendumb
    9 years ago

I have the same or similar bug here in Alpine, Texas. Some years are worse than others. About three years ago they were thick and inside my electrical panels and work shop. This year there are very few but the grasshoppers where thick as the weeds. We had pretty steady rains this year.

• ltilton
    9 years ago

I'm seeing the leaf-footed bug here this fall, when last year it was the BMSB. The LFB looks kinda like a BMSB that went on a diet and got skinny.

• jean001a
    9 years ago

Need to see a picture please.

• thecityman, Zone 7a/6b near Nashville
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Here everyone is trying to help me and I disappear for a couple days. Sorry. First, of course I should have taken a photo. I haven't seen one in the last day or so but if I do I promise to send one. I looked at the BMSB and LFB and they look so similar that I'll have to catch another one to determine. However, from what I read they emit a bad, well, "stink" whereas I have only smelled what I described as "green apples". Strange (as some of you agreed about) as that explanation is, if you google things along the line of "bug that smells like green apples when killed" it comes up with countless posts of people describing that exact same odor (green apples) and I didn't know that when I used it as a description. And in all those posts, the "answers" and/or corresponding bug described is the "western conifer seed bug". If you look up the WCSB on various bug sites its often described as smelling like green apples when squashed. SO I'm more confused as ever. I do have a stand of about 10 giant white pines 100 yards from my home, but I'm in the Southeast (TN).
    I know this is a fruit tree site, and the reason I'm posting this here is because I know various stink bugs damage fruit so I thought you all might be familiar with them AND whether or not I should do anything different to prepare for a possible infestation in the spring? Anyway, next one I see I'll get a photo and maybe that will help you help me. Meanwhile, thank all of you for taking the time to try and help me.

• rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
    9 years ago

Apparently, you can catch stink bugs indoors with some lights rather than by hand or vacuum cleaner. There are videos on youtube how to make a trap if interested.

• appleseed70
    9 years ago

I looked up the "western conifer seed bug" and I'm pretty sure I've seen these things around here too. Of course, it could be some similar looking "cousin" or something. Reading about it's range though it sounds more than plausible that it's here in the east. Wiki lists several eastern pine species it has been known to feed on.

This post was edited by Appleseed70 on Sun, Nov 16, 14 at 4:21

• alan haigh
    9 years ago

Be grateful if is anything else but BMSB.

Sponsored
Hoppy Design & Build
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Northern VA Award-Winning Deck ,Patio, & Landscape Design Build Firm