Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
biomed_gw

Best crunchy sweet apples you recommend for me.

Biomed
11 years ago

Scott, Fruit nut, everyone's,

I am looking for 2 to 3 apples that are super sweet, crunchy, good fragrance. So far I have red that sweet sixteen, Fuji, golden delicious, ashmead kernel, kidds, and cox orange pippin. Can you help me narrow it down or anymore suggestion.

Comments (15)

• marknmt
    11 years ago

Sweet Sixteen and Yellow Delicious do well here. Rubinette is one you might want to consider. I'd really like to be able to recommend Karmijn d' Sonneville, because it sounds like such a winner, but my scion hasn't gotten big enough to bear yet!

Personally I love Prairie Spy, too, but it doesn't get much attention.

• megamav
    11 years ago

I wouldnt call Kidd's Orange Red "Super Sweet" is it somewhat sweet and aromatic. Cox's Orange Pippin even less sweet. Sonya fits your description. Tastes like pure cane sugar, crunchy, borderline hard apple.

Reine des Reinettes AKA King of The Pippins may also fit in there, but again not "super sweet" but somewhat sweet.

I ate a Shizuka yesterday, you can read about it if you follow the link below. Fits your description of super sweet and fragrant, but its somewhat soft.

Also read about Hudson's Golden Gem, and Suncrisp.

If I were to pick 3 (based on my limited experience), I'd keep away from Triploids, and select: Kidd's Orange Red, Reine des Reinettes and Suncrisp.

All pretty sweet, non-triploid and you can cook with Reine des Reinettes if you want to. Suncrisp stores well, and Kidd's is probably one of the best backyard selections you can make.

-Eric
    ----------------------------------------------------
    {{gwi:54837}}

• dmtaylor
    11 years ago

Lots of great suggestions so far. However I am shocked that no one has mentioned Honeycrisp yet! Of the others, I think your best bets are Fuji and Sweet Sixteen. And if you can find Sonya, that is by far the sweetest apple I have ever had in my life.

• fruitnut Z7 4500ft SW TX
    11 years ago

Eric:

Are your Suncrisp actually crisp? I had my first fruit this year and it was mediocre, neither crisp nor sweet.

Fuji is sweet but not that crisp. Golden Delicious is a bit of both. Goldrush is more hard than crisp. Honeycrisp should be both but mine hasn't fruited yet. Those I've bought from the store were awful, picked too early.

• megamav
    11 years ago

I personally dont grow Suncrisp, but I pick them at 2 different orchards. I found the consistency of them to be slightly less crunchy than Honeycrisp, which is pretty darn crunchy.

B9 trees had huge fruits last year, bigger than my fist, possibly over-irrigated with drip and all the rain. This year I picked from M26 size, and the fruits were relatively small, about palm size.

I usually dont eat them before december as they sweeten up in storage.

Just for kicks, I just took a bite into one. They need to be in storage a little longer, but the sweetness is developing. It has that starchy/acid consistency right now, but in December they're quite delightful. Definitely crunchy right now.

• fruitnut Z7 4500ft SW TX
    11 years ago

Eric:

I may have eaten my Suncrisp too soon. That would explain a taste that was more starchy than sweet. It takes some years to really know what a fruit is like. Even then one needs to sample quit a bit and from more than one source if possible.

• bob_z6
    11 years ago

I've had Suncrisp from farmer's markets (2 different vendors) for the last 3 years, but have never been impressed. They have OK crunch when fresh, but nothing special. After a bit of storage, they are OK sweet apples, but were getting a bit soft. I think this year was a bit better than the last two years- perhaps they were a bit riper when picked (due to the extra long season). I remember Harvestman really liked it 2 years ago.

I've found that most of my Goldrush were both hard and crunchy. I did have one which was hard, but not crunchy, which wasn't so good. That one apple aside, Goldrush is great. But, while it has plenty of sugar, it isn't a "sweet" apple, at least when first picked.

For super-sweet, I would say Golden Russet. When properly ripened, it seems to be around 20 brix, which is great (grocery store apples are often 10-12). It isn't crunchy like a Honeycrisp (which has crunch, but isn't all that sweet), but it was crisp enough for me. You may be able to try one, as they are still sold in a few orchards.

Hopefully I'll be able to comment on Hudson's Golden Gem and Sweet 16, and Ashmead's Kernel next year.

• Biomed
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks, I will read up on all these varieties and pick 3 of them.

• megamav
    11 years ago

I feel there should be a disclaimer on Golden Russet.
    Here in NY we have an orchard with GR on M111.
    Every time I got thru that orchard it is crushed with fireblight and swarming with bugs.
    If you plan on growing this variety, I'd make sure you're seasoned in pest and disease management.

-Eric
    ----------------------------------------------------
    {{gwi:54837}}

• Biomed
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Could not find any place that sale Sonya apple.

• dmtaylor
    11 years ago

Sonya is new and might still be patented or under some sort of agreement not to sell the scion. SweeTango is another new one that is sweet but the scion is definitely not for sale.

• Scott F Smith
    11 years ago

If you want sweet and crunchy SweeTango wins the prize. I'd actually plant that guy if I could get it. The only other apple of the last twenty years I really like is GoldRush.

Scott

• Biomed
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Wow, Scott that said a lot, in 20 yrs and Gold rush was the one. Is it similar to golden delicious or totally different.

• Scott F Smith
    11 years ago

GoldRush is a cross of Golden Delicious and that shows. It is somewhat less aromatic but has a cleaner flavor and is a bit more tart. The flesh is more hard and it keeps much much better and also gets less skin damage due to its toughness. Golden Delicious is still a great apple, and it is probably a better cooker than GoldRush.

Just to be clear when I say the last twenty years I mean apples developed in the last twenty years, not any apple I have eaten in the last 20 years. There have been some decent modern apples, Honeycrisp, Cameo, Jazz, etc, but only GoldRush and SweeTango have wowed me.

Scott

• megamav
    11 years ago

I have had the SweeTango in the supermarket.
    They havent showed up this year, but last year I tasted them.
    I'd describe them as a smaller, easier to eat Honeycrisp, with a little extra spiciness.
    Same texture, skin isnt greasy like Honeycrisp.

Didnt blow me away, I personally wouldnt consider growing it.

This is how personal taste is, and I 100% respect Scott's opinion.

Scott, im surprised you're so impressed with it considering the many well flavored apples you grow.
    Maybe I had an average set of specimens.

Biomed,

Sorry to lead you down the wrong path with Sonya.
    It is exceptionally sweet and crunchy, but apparently you need to be licensed to grow it.

"Today, Valley Fruit, Price Cold Storage and Congdon Orchards are the three grower/packer licensees for Sonya in North America."

Here is a link that might be useful: Sonya Grower Information