Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
anyone bud grafting near Winston-Salem, NC?

Posted by cousinfloyd 7 (My Page) on
Thu, Nov 15, 12 at 7:11

I know now's not the time, but I was hoping to go ahead and get in touch with anyone within 2 or 3 hours drive of me -- I'm about 45 minutes west of Winston-Salem, a little over an hour north of Charlotte -- that would be bud grafting and wouldn't mind me coming to watch and learn (and I'd be glad to help if possible.) I've never successfully grafted any cherries, plums, or peaches, and that's something I'd like to be able to do. I know there are good internet learning resources, but if there's anyone I could learn from in person I'd be eager for that opportunity.
By the way, if there's anyone else anywhere nearby that might be interested in sharing info/scionwood/know-how of any other sort, I'd be happy to connect for other reasons, too.
Thanks,
Eric

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: anyone bud grafting near Winston-Salem, NC?

Not close to you but I'll give you a link in bark grafting, spring grafting is done mostly with sticks. You can practice the cuts so your'e ready come spring.

Here is a link that might be useful: Konrad's modified bark grafting

o

Konrad, thanks for the advice. I'm sure I could learn from anyone doing any kind of grafting, but I'm especially interested in learning to bud graft. I've had good success whip and tongue grafting pears and also some apples and some other things, and I started teaching myself how to bark graft this past year with advice from this forum and online tutorials, but that's about as far as I've gotten so far. Thanks again, Eric

o

I wonder if it might be helpful to ask Lee Calhoun

http://growingsmallfarms.ces.ncsu.edu/growingsmallfarms-calhounshowandtell09

or Century Orchards http://www.centuryfarmorchards.com/

If you are wanting stone fruit specifically, maybe they can refer you to someone else. I'm assuming you have searched and watched the Youtube vids.

o

Unfortunately, my computer isn't capable of playing any audio or hardly any video, so I have to go to a neighbor's and borrow his computer to watch youtube videos which really limits what I can learn that way. I know there's a lot I could learn on youtube, though. Then again, nothing's like being there in person. Thanks for the suggestion of Century Orchards. I'm definitely familiar with that orchard/nursery, but I hadn't thought of it in this context. That's a good idea, certainly worth asking. Thanks.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here