Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Planting a Small Orchard Today

Posted by brianstreehouse z6 SouthIndiana (My Page) on
Sat, Nov 16, 13 at 7:44

I am planting a small orchard along the side of the house today. If all produces well, here is the goal:

Fruit Schedule

June
Gooseberry
Blackberry

July
Anne Yellow Raspberry
Heritage Raspberry
Shiro Plum

August
Delicious Plum
Doctor Matthews Apple

September
Honeycrisp Apple
Jon-a-Red Apple
Cox�s Orange Pippin Apple
Anne Yellow Raspberry
Heritage Raspberry

October
Grimes Golden Apple
Red Rome Beauty Apple

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Planting a Small Orchard Today

good luck with your project. I started something similar 5 years ago and saw my 1st real apple harvest this year (central MN)

One suggestion, if you have the room plant a flowering crab in the vicinity of the apples. My apples trees are in two different areas and the area with a couple of flowering crab trees seems to do significantly better on pollination even tho I have a broad mix of apple varieties that theoretically should be more than adequate for cross pollination.

I am adding a couple of flowering crab to the other area next spring.

o

Are you omitting fruits like peaches and cherries because you don't like them or because of potential growing problems?

o

I did not put in the peaches and cherries because of garden space, preference and because they come on all at once and don't keep as well.

I was looking at a Whitney crabapple. Maybe I should find room for it. I saw an interesting recipe for pickled crabapples.

Learning as I go.

o

One thing I would say is you do need quite a few bramble plants to get a decent yield. I have 50 feet of raspberries. About 30 feet of blackberries. Any less would not be worth it to me. i want pounds, not handfuls.If you have 5 plants, you may get a handful a day. Besides snacking not much you can do with them. If I could i would have 150 feet of brambles.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here