Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cushite

Plum and Peach Tree

cushite
10 years ago

What's the best tasting plum and peach to grow in metro Atlanta?
Plannng on growing a Ozark Premier plum and a Red Globe peach.

Thanks,

Comments (6)

• Tony
    10 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Cus,

Here are some selection for you: Table 1. Summary of Japanese plums for home use in Georgia
    Cultivar Fertility Skin/Flesh Color Ripening Date Cropping
    Dessert/Preserve Quality
    Methley Self* Red-purple/Blood 6/03 Reliable
    Morris Not Dark red/Red 6/16 Productive
    AU Rubrum Not Dark red/Red 6/15 Reliable
    AU Producer Not Dark red/Red 6/20 Very Productive
    Spring Satin Not Red-black/Yellow 6/02 Productive
    Byrongold Not Yellow/Yellow 6/30
    Rubysweet Not Red-bronze/Blood 6/15 Productive
    Preferred as Green Plums
    Bruce Not Orange-red/Yellow 5/31 Reliable
    Six Weeks Not Red/Yellow-red 5/25
    Robusto Not Bright red/Red 6/05 Productive
    Segundo Not Yellow-red/Yellow-red 6/11 Productive
    * Though self-fertile, the provision of a different variety in the garden will improve pollination and production. Conditions that are not harmful to bees improve production.

Peaches:
    Variety Harvest Date Stone Freeness Flesh Color Firmness
    Flordaking Late May-Early June Cling Yellow Low
    Camden Mid May Cling Yellow Medium
    Flordadawn Mid May Cling Yellow Medium
    Flordacrest Mid May Semi-free Yellow Medium
    Flordaglobe Mid-Late May Cling Yellow Medium
    Empress Mid-Late May Cling Yellow Med-High
    Sunbrite Mid-Late May Cling Yellow Medium
    Springcrest Mid-Late May Cling Yellow High
    Candor Mid-Late May Semi-free Yellow Medium
    June Gold Mid-Late May Cling Yellow Medium
    Shepard's Beauty Late May Cling Yellow Medium
    Derby Late May Cling Yellow Medium
    Goldprince Late May-Early June Cling Yellow High
    Surecrop Early-Mid June Semi-free Yellow Medium
    Summerprince Early-Mid June Semi-free Yellow High
    Juneprince Late May-Mid June Semi-free Yellow High
    Flavorcrest Mid May Free Yellow Very High
    Gala Mid-Late June Free Yellow High
    Rubyprince Early-Mid June Free Yellow Med-High
    Harvester Mid-Late June Free Yellow Med-High
    Cary Mac Mid-Late June Free Yellow High
    Sunland Mid June Free Yellow High
    Suwanee Mid-Late June Free Yellow Medium
    Redhaven Mid-Late June Semi-free Yellow High
    Encore Late July Free Yellow Med-High
    Redglobe Late June-Early July Free Yellow High
    Majestic Late June-Early July Free Yellow High
    Summergold Early July Free Yellow Medium
    Fireprince Late June- Early July Free Yellow High
    Contender Late June-Early July Free Yellow High
    Bounty Early July Free Yellow High
    Elegantlady Early July Free Yellow Very High
    Cresthaven Early-Mid July Free Yellow High
    Dixiland Mid July Free Yellow Med-High
    Fay Elberta Mid July Free Yellow Med-High
    Redskin Mid July Free Yellow High
    Sunprince Mid July Free Yellow High
    Ruston Red Mid July Free Yellow Medium
    O'Henry Late July - Early Aug Free Yellow Very High
    Jefferson Mid-Late July Free Yellow Med-High
    Summerlady Mid July Free Yellow High
    Parade Early August Free Yellow High
    Flameprince Late July - Early Aug Free Yellow High
    Tyler Late July-Early Aug Free Yellow Med-Hi

Tony

• gator_rider2
    10 years ago

Peach Red haven and red Glope are more likely fit your zone.
    Farmer market in Atlanta always has green plums in early May they have so many must been favorite.
    Low chill Peaches and plums will be disappointing in Atlanta they flower before cold weather over and set small fruit freeze seed inside rot inside fruit just before ripening, this is mistaken call Brown rot a hold lot time.

• rayrose
    10 years ago

Ozark Premier is a tart plum that requires a pollinator, if that suits your taste. If not, AU Rubrum is an excellent sweet plum, and is self fruitful. Any of the Prince series of peaches will do well for you, as will Winblo. I find them to be much better that Redhaven.

• ahgrower Horne
    10 years ago

Hi Cushite,
    I live in a city going west on the outskirts of Atlanta, Ga. I have about 28 fruit trees and about 14 of them are peaches. I have bought these trees from local nurseries and big box stores like Lowes and the Home Depot. When I first started growing these trees,(around Feb. 2010) I did not know that I had to consider the "chill" factor, which has a lot to do with fruit production. Anyway, at first I was frustrated and worried because I had a lot of high chill numbers in reference to the trees that were being sold in our area. Here's what they sold and what I bought, nurtured and reaped after all the hard work of pruning, spraying, fertilizing and planting the trees in the right location of my yard: Belle of Georgia, production was great in the last 2 years. I have 3 Hale Havens (these are the best in my opinion) and they all produced a couple of bushels of peaches this past summer. (In spite of all the rain) 1 Harvester (dwarf) peach tree. This one failed to produce the first year because we had a late freeze and all blooms were lost. Yet, it produced about a dozen this past summer that tasted great!. 2 fruit cocktail trees-1 has belle of georgia peaches that were delicious this year. The other one has Elberta peaches which were in strong competion with the Hale Havens. I have another Elberta Peach tree that produces excellent big reddish pink juicy peaches. Regarding the plum selections: I have 1 Santa Rosa Plum Tree that has yet to produce and it is going on 4 years old. 1 Dwarf Burbank Plum tree that has the tastiest plums. I just bought a sensational sweet August plum (semi-dwarf) from Berry Farms sold at Lowes so I have yet to taste them. On the fruit cocktail trees, there is a red plum that grows on that tree that is absolutely delicious!. I thought it was a red apricot but "Fruitnut" (one of this forums experts) help me identify this fruit as a plum-not an apricot. So, there you have it from someone who has tried and true experience with these varieties. It is a lot of work but I love it and you will too. Keep reading this forum and you will do fine with your selections. Alot of what we do is trial and error but the more you read and apply, you will find that the errors will be less and well worth all the effort, time and work...Good luck with your selections. Oh, by the way, I also order trees online. In our state, I use Ison's. In California, there are many thatI like and order from such as Stark Brothers, Raintree, Cliftons, and Bay Laurel. And Stark Brothers has the selections best for any location in the US of A. Just put in your zip code and they will pull up the selections of fruit that does best in our location.

• drew51 SE MI Z5b/6a
    10 years ago

Out of the peaches mentioned in this thread, and from my limited knowledge, as so many peaches exist. I know O'Henry, Winblo, and Jefferson are outstanding peaches.
    You can get all of them from the link attached for a decent price. Small too, so you can shape them how you wish.
    Oh I looked at Red Globe , I have no experience with it, but it also sounds like a good peach!

Here is a link that might be useful: Fruit Tree Farm in TN

• ahgrower Horne
    10 years ago

Drew51,
    I know that you provided the link for Fruit Tree Farm in TN for Cushite to use, but I am going to use this company as well in the future when I purchase some more fruit trees. The prices are great and the peach variety is extensive! Excellent!
    Thanks, Ahgrower