Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Weeping Fruit Tree Options?

Posted by Schlemoc 5 (My Page) on
Fri, Nov 30, 12 at 8:34

Hi,
I have a small island style bed that is fully visible in front of my house from all windows. It is roughly 8'x 15'. There was a bunch of scraggly bushes that I recently removed. I will be putting in a lamp post somewhere in the bed.

There is currently a whole mess of strawberries as groundcover there. What I would like to do is add a dwarf weeping fruit tree, possibly a sweet cherry, or any other "pretty" tree. I would look to keep it around 8'-10' or less in mature height. I was also considering adding in a quince of some sort.

I would be using lillies/tulips for the spring season. Any other thoughts/additions that could be added? I am not sure if there are any fruiting weeping trees, so asking the group here. I'm east of Pittsburgh in Zone 5 for location.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Weeping Fruit Tree Options?

Perhaps a weeping mulberry? Given the photos that I've seen, though, I suspect that it might look a little messy unless it was trained/pruned carefully.

Here is a link that might be useful: Weeping Mulberry at Edible Landscaping

o

• Posted by fruitnut z7b-8a,4500ft SW TX (My Page) on
    Fri, Nov 30, 12 at 9:53

The weeping trees I'm aware of would be the weeping mulberry. That would be well adapted to your climate because we had one in northern Illinois as a kid. The other is the weeping Santa Rosa plum. May not be well adapted due to cold, disease, and pests.

o

Ginger Gold is an apple variety exceptionally easy to train to a weep- the branches naturally grow downwards once fruiting begins. If you grow it on M26 it will be easy to keep in the space you describe. Check Adams County Nursery.

I routinely train tall old apple trees to a weep to reduce vigor and bring the crop to lower position. Most varieties can be trained this way once fruiting begins.

o

Harvestman,

Do you have any tips/recommendations on how to train it to weep? Are there any other apple varieties that can be trained at an early age to weep?

I do know of the weeping mulberry and weeping santa rosa. I'm hoping to see if I can find something a little different.

Thanks everyone for thoughts. Any others out there?

o

Weeping mulberry - as others indicated - immediately came to mind. Just be sure you get a fruiting cultivar, not the fruitless 'male' clones, like Chaparral

'Callaway' crab is a favorite in my family for eating, and often assumes a semi-weeping form, mainly due to the massive fruit load it typically sets. Tasty little 1-1.5" crabs; good for jelly, or filling your pocket and munching away. Pretty decent disease resistance, so it's not necessarily defoliated early like many of the older ornamental crabapple selections.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here