Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
variance in years to flowering?

Posted by pnbrown z6.5 MA (My Page) on
Mon, Nov 26, 12 at 8:37

Hi all,

I have an apple tree that I bought and planted about 5 years ago, along with some others, and it has not flowered, not once, not one blossom. It has grown well enough, in fact shows less drought stress in summer than others. I don't recall what variety it is. Others have flowered and fruited.

Is this uncommon? I have never had any fruit tree that did not at least have a few blossoms the year after planting, to say nothing of 5 or 6 years later.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: variance in years to flowering?

I can't help you with the apple tree but I can relate. I have a grapefruit tree here that is 8 years old and I am still waiting for it to blossom for the first time. Each spring I wait and hope. The oranges bloom even when very small but not that ruby red.

o

I have a few varieties that have not flowered in ten years. Some varieties are much more reluctant to start bearing than others. The rootstock can also have a significant impact; perhaps that tree is on a different stock.

Scott

o

Thanks, Scott, good to know maybe I'll give it another few years.

BR, speaking of the citrus I took your advice last winter and lowered the soil around the trunks in my orchard and also fertilized with azomite and some manganese sulfate (they had severe Mn deficiency) and some organic N though not nearly enough of that latter. Anyway hoping to see some improvement by february when we return.

o

PnBrown,

Lou swears by that azomite and I will say it does seem to make a difference. These sandy soils the nutrients just wash right through especially if they are over watered either by us or mother nature.

o

If you want to see more convincing proof for azomite over a longish period of time, there is an orchard in Deland that has been using it in the fertilizer program for about ten years. I went there last winter and it is utterly stunning compared to what one normally sees these days, and the taste of the fruit is also remarkable.

My parents both said that's what citrus tasted like when they were kids in the 50's, they had forgotten what good fruit tasted like. It's worth the drive.

o

PN,

Lou brought me some and the plants do seem to respond well to it.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here