Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
clarkinks

Romeo cherry

clarkinks
9 years ago

Many of you are aware another of the romance series of cherries "Romeo" has now been released in the United States. If it's anything like its sister bush "carmine Jewell" it should be a winner. What do you know about it? I've read it's Cherries are larger and it produces marginally more fruit.

This post was edited by ClarkinKS on Sun, Nov 16, 14 at 9:01

Comments (9)

• zendog
    9 years ago

From what I've read I'm not sure they are much larger, but I think they are definitely sweeter. And in terms of productivity, I think they are about the same as CJ, which is supposed to be quite good. They are also later, so they would be a nice compliment to CJ to extend your cherry picking season.

So overall they seem like a later, sweeter CJ. But again that is just based on what I've read. Size-wise it seems Juliette, Cupid and Crimson Passion are the ones that are substantially bigger.

I know I just put 3 CJ and 2 Crimson Passion in the ground and can already feel the need to add a Romeo. I'm pretty sure they're just going to let these trickle out one more a year so that we all wind up buying more as each new release builds the excitement. Clearly just another conspiracy...

• drew51 SE MI Z5b/6a
    9 years ago

I do want to get these, but will probably wait a few years. Prices will come down, and stock will go up. I can see ordering these and the nurseries running out of stock.
    I also have interest in the cultivars developed by Dr. Amy Iazonni of Michigan State University. But I still like the Romance series better.
    I'm interested in the canker resistant sweet cherries out of Cornel having lost two trees to canker. Again I want to wait as they seem to be sold out wherever they are sold.

• Konrad___far_north
    9 years ago

In this link it says,...one of the best for juice.

Not sure what that means overall...not as meaty and not so good for pies??

I've put in a Cupid and Juliet,.. been hearing that these two are best for eating, also larger, better for pitting.

Here is a link that might be useful: Dwarf Sour Cherries

• Konrad___far_north
    9 years ago

This one is a very good alternative.
    Lutowka Rose Cherry, will test it,..have put two little plugs in this year.

Here is a link that might be useful: Honeyberry USA

• drew51 SE MI Z5b/6a
    9 years ago

It seems Honeyberry has a different source for the plants. I remember reading MSU was growing them for Gardens Alive. Besides growing a number for research and breeding. We grow lot's of tart cherries here, so we have high interest in these plants. The Hungarian tarts introduced by MSU are also dark cherries. They are not that hardy so probably not that good for colder regions. Crossing them with the Romance series though could change that.

• don555
    9 years ago

Juliet has a bigger cherry than CJ but the taste is very similar, at least from my garden. Of the dark colored U of Saskatchewan cherries, these two are the hardest to eat right off the bush, after about a half-dozen I find the tartness getting to me (note, I'm sour-sensitive, I don't like my fruit tart, I'd take a sweet apple over a tart one any day.)

Juliet is the sweetest/least tart of the dark cherries (same size fruit as Romeo), with Cupid a close second, I can eat several dozen Juliet or Cupid straight off the bush. Cupid has the largest fruit. At least this was my experience this year, the first year I've had them all bear fruit.

Romeo is my most vigorous bush, but I've only got one of each variety so that might not mean much.

Romeo in bloom, spring 2014 (garden spade for scale):
    {{gwi:125611}}

Romeo fruit (quarter for scale):
    {{gwi:125612}}

• glenn_10 zone 4b/5a NewBrunswick,Can.
    9 years ago

I have the whole series of them and have to agree with don555 on the eating of the bush quality. Cupid are larger and not bad flavor but wholey moley does it sucker bad! I have tons and tons of sprouts within an 5 foot radius from a 4 foot tall tree/bush. Valentine suckers too but not as bad(cherries were really sour too). I have one sucker from CJ and don not care for the flavor of them fresh at all. I had one sucker from Romeo, cherries are really dark red. Juliet had no suckers and flavor was similar to Romeo but cherry color was not as dark. I am still waiting for crimson passion to fruit. It seems to be the least vigorous of the varieties.

• clarkinks
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for all the information. We grow a row of Carmine Jewell now and we love them. I'm looking forward to trying all of the University of Saskatchewan Cherries.

Here is a link that might be useful: University of Saskatchewan Cherries