Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Wind damaged apple tree

Posted by mcckkey MI zone 5 (My Page) on
Thu, Nov 7, 13 at 9:23

We had high winds last week and it broke one of my favorite varieties honey crisp clean off at the base.Would it be worth wild to leave it in the ground and would the new sucker shoots develop into a tree that would produce apples again ?

Or is this just wishful thinking and should I dig it up and replant with bare root stock again :(.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Wind damaged apple tree

It is the root stock that will regrow, not the HC. That is a sucker from the root, right? looks like enough to graft onto in the spring. Your new tree will grow faster with an already established root system vs starting over. If you don't have other HC trees I can send you a couple scions for the cost of postage. I believe it is a protected cultivar, but in this case I don't see how anyone can object.

Also I can give some grafting pointers if you have never done it.

o

cckw thanks for all the help......I've got some other honey crisp trees thanks for the offer,I may take you up on some grafting advice or tips this spring, I've never done it before.I've got a few other apple varieties that I planted 3 years ago that I don't really care for and was thinking about trying the grafting with some HC scion in the spring.

o

• Posted by murky z8f pnw Portlan (My Page) on
    Fri, Nov 8, 13 at 2:21

Honeycrisp is off of patent, so have at it.

If it broke at the scion junction I might worry that it is a delayed incompatibility and might choose a different variety to graft to that rootstock, especially since you have other honeycrisps.

Do you know the name of the rootstock?

o

I Believe honeyvrisp is known for brittle graft unions with a number of rootstocks....it's a great apple but has a number of challenges in growing, harvesting and storing.

o

I have posted this idea before and I haven't seen any posts of objection. When I do Honeycrisp again I am going to start the tree as something like Liberty then add individual branch grafts of honeycrisp, but less then 50%, to have a healthier tree backing up the apples. I have done this the other direction to get some strong foliage on my HC tree since the HC leaves get attached so badly by bugs, rust, and whatever else.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here