Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
D. kaki rootstock for D. kaki in SEUS?

Posted by gonebananas 7/8 (My Page) on
Thu, Nov 22, 12 at 9:32

I see sparse but mixed information as to why native D. virginiana is used for Asian persimmons in the eastern US.

On the positive side D. v. is said (vs. D. k.) to be more cold hardy, more soil forgiving especially on droughty soils, and have somewhat less of a taproot problem.

On the negative side, it is said to have a small but notable and widely consistent percentage of later fatal failure of the supported D. k. trees. It is also susceptible to certain fatal persimmon diseases here, perhaps especially a root rot (though maybe D. k. is too).

D. kaki on D. kaki rootstock would seem to be less prone to any incompatibility problems and perhaps others, and in a yard situation soil and water conditions can be rectified more easily than in orchards. Seedling taproots are easily managed.

So why D. v. almost exclusively in the east? This is particularly puzzling if the early death phenomenon happens to be compatibility related.

And what is the problem in the eastern US with D. lotus? If it is just cold tolerance it may still be fine for the south.

I wonder what killed the thousands of Asian persimmon trees that dotted the southern US about 100 years ago and less. I rarely see or read about very old ones (though apparently some of Dr. Smith's were alive many decades later; are they still?).

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: D. kaki rootstock for D. kaki in SEUS?

This happens to me already with two tree's that all of a sudden dies,it does not bother me at all, some do some don't.Most of my tree's seams happy.
From all the tree's that i have bought over the years are gone and now been replaced by others and the list goes on.
Just grow the tree's and make sure that you have some sion wood in case.

o
RE: D. kaki rootstock for D. kaki in SEUS?

Good quesions! Sorry to say, I don't have good answers! I have decided that Dk is better for Dallas than dv, the opposite of what I expected.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here