Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Reine des Reinettes vs. King of The Pippins

Posted by megamav 5a - NY (My Page) on
Tue, Nov 13, 12 at 9:35

Most texts describe these 2 as one of the same, but the more I research them, I think there are some differences, at least aesthetically.

I have some proclaimed Reine des Reinettes from Scott Farm, Vermont, and they're absolutely wonderful, to the point where I'm probably going to select this variety to graft.

In doing some research on the 2 namesakes, I've found there seems to be a russeted variety (Reine des Reinettes) and a smooth fleshed variety in King of The Pippins according to the USDA germplasm repository.

Anyone else see these differences out there first hand, or am I just over analyzing things?

Reine des Reinettes:

King of The Pippins:

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Reine des Reinettes vs. King of The Pippins

Look at all the variability in Red Delicious today with all the sports and you will see how far a variety can evolve by propagation of sports. Also the growing conditions make apples look so different. One of the additional confusions is for a long time those two varieties have been considered the same and so the name put on it may be what the person having it prefers to call it. I was given my Reine des Reinettes by someone French and I think they got it as King of the Pippins (which could have in turn come from a "Reine des Reinettes" person etc etc).

My RdR look a lot more like Gala than yours, they have pronounced streaks on them. If you do a Google image search you will see many of the RdR are streaked. I don't know if that is due to growing conditions or from being a different sport.

It would be nice if someone would grow out every version they could find of particular old heirlooms to see what sports are out there. Its a big black box now.

Scott

o

Scot Farm is nice, they sell a lot of apples you just don't see commercially almost ever. It's a treat to be able to sample them, and I think they generally are careful to pick them at proper ripeness.
I have "King of Pippens" from cummins, who also believes it to be synonymous with RdR. I have been warned that some folks have gotten mislabeled stock from cummins on some of the more unusual items, so I can't be sure, but the taste and texture seem to be "on target"

Mine is great, but looks nothing like your second image. A bit like your first, but more orange color. some very minor russeting, Definitely not a shiny apple.

o

The first picture is the one from my apple from Scott Farm.
Its not shiny in any way, which is what got me thinking about the differences out there.

I'll chalk it up to what Scott said, minor genetic morphs in phenotype.

Im probably going to get this variety from Maple Valley to graft, so I thought I'd ask the community.

Thanks guys.

-Eric

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here