Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Leaves not turning

Posted by cbfindlay z6 OH (My Page) on
Sat, Nov 16, 13 at 9:44

Got a question about a peach tree planted this spring. The leaves are not turning, the just look like they're freezing and still dark green out there and show no signs of dropping. Just pruned off several shoots below the graft - THOSE leaves were turned already a pretty dark maroon. It's already an odd tree - bought it bare-root from Starks, and it only leafed out on one side.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Leaves not turning

Probably the tree needs to figure out where it's at. My new trees did the same thing. But the leafing out on one side is an indication of root damage. Not good!

o

My nectarine trees have never had fall color. They generally hold their leaves a lot longer than I'd expect (they outlast my pear trees), and they're still green when they finally drop them.

o

My peach tree leaves rarely change color. A few turn yellow but they are usually very small leaves. My five peach trees still have their green leaves on them and it is November (60 degrees this week in Newport, RI). This happened once three years ago (the temp.). I wail till they fall then spray copper. Mrs. G

o

Drew51, is that what causes the unilateral leafing out? Any chance this will ever be a healthy tree, or should I dig it up?

o

I'm not sure? Someone with more experience needs to comment. All i know is often the strange leafing is a result of root damage. Often it shows up on say where construction near a tree happened.
In your case one side of the roots were somehow damaged?
What I would do is email Stark Bros. about it, describe the problem, and say you fear root damage. They may send you a new tree next spring. I lost a new cherry tree from Grandpa's Nursery. It just died late in the season. Lost all it's leaves in August. they are sending a free replacement next spring..

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here