Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Best fruit tree to grow in Dallas, Texas

Posted by ladyag Texas (My Page) on
Sun, Nov 7, 10 at 9:57

I have recently moved to the Dallas area and have researched what trees do well in this area. After suffering many failures in the Houston area, however, I really would like to find a tree that (any variety!) that really thrives here. A long production period each year would be great! (I know, I just want a perfect tree that doesn't exist!)
Thank you for any help!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Best fruit tree to grow in Dallas, Texas

If I had to name one tree that would thrive in Dallas it would be the jujube. Sugar Cane and Honey Jar are two of the best for fresh eating. But there are many fruit trees that will do well near Dallas. Check out Womack's Nursery online. Whatever they sell will work in Dallas. The nursery is in De Leon TX not far SW of Fort Worth.

If you like persimmon try a Eureka from Womacks. It's my most trouble free fruit. I didn't like persimmon until I tried Eureka.

Also check out the Texas Fruit Growers Assoc. There are members, some with websites, near DFW. You could even visit next year and see what you like.

o

Here in McKinney, persimmons, certain pears, Celeste figs, and certain jujubes like li and honey jay do great. Like fruit nut says, womacks is a great nursey, all their products will grow here, though apples, peaches, etc will need to be sprayed

o

Here in Farmers Branch I am surrounded with fig and pear trees. Planted two peach trees both bore the second yr!

o

I have had a fair amount of success growing fruit in Dallas.

I have not had to use chemical spray yet. Compost tea and Garrett Juice sprays have been sufficient so far to ward off any pests and disease.

For the last three years, I have been growing strawberries, blackberries, apples, figs, pears, peaches, blueberries, raspberries, jujubes, apricots, plums, elderberries, cherries, grapes, pomegranites, persimmons, pluots, shipova, juneberries, pineapple guava, kiwi, and wolfberries.

Not all of these are producing yet, but the only plant that completely bit the dust for me was gooseberry. I don't think it could handle our hot summers; however, I am not entirely sure that is what did it.

You can read about some of my experiences at: http://www.dallasfruitgrower.typepad.com/

Bob Wells Nursery in Lindale, Texas is also a good local source for fruit trees and bushes.

Here is a link that might be useful: Dallas Fruit Grower

o

My Fuji and Granny Smith apples are doing well and I've only had to use insecticidal soap and Neem oil so far (only 2 years). So far so good.

While not a tree I think the best backyard fruit crop for this area is blackberries. I've personally had great success with several of the University of Arkansas varieties. Tough as nails and they produce like crazy. The most rewarding thing in my yard.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here