Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
need a container mix for figs - Lou???

Posted by joeworm fla (My Page) on
Thu, Nov 22, 12 at 10:05

i have some small fig trees that need to be potted. i need a tried and true mix please to plant these in.

also need a fertilizer to use and a fertilizer schedule.

thanks very much

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: need a container mix for figs - Lou???

You should ask also in the Fig Forum.

I have found figs to be pretty tolerant of a wide range of potting soils. Because I need a lot (ultimately 25 gallon pots) I make my own using finer-ground bark (called "soil conditioner" in the garden centers of the big-box stores), a lirrle ground limestone, some baled peat "moss," and especially a significant amount of perlite to make it looser and lighter.

Poorly drained heavy soil is your enemy (root rot).

Using a complete fertilizer with all the trace elements (say, citrus or MiracleGrow) overcomes the very uneven nutrient content of the soil itself, which is made mainly for its physical attributes.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here