Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Cutting fruit frees to maintain height

Posted by dogfarm Arizona (My Page) on
Mon, Nov 5, 12 at 10:14

I live outside Phoenix, AZ. I am planting peach, apricot, apple trees in October. I am interested in keeping them to a bush size for easier maintenance. Videos show cutting the trees to 18" when planting in order to keep them small. Should I cut the trees at this time of year (fall in AZ, mild winters)or wait until spring.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Cutting fruit frees to maintain height

• Posted by fruitnut z7b-8a,4500ft SW TX (My Page) on
    Mon, Nov 5, 12 at 12:07

dogfarm:

In your climate that initial cut can be done fall or spring. After all that's only a couple weeks apart, right;-) Just be careful cutting back trees over 0.75 inch caliper. Those big trees without low branches sometimes don't push any buds down low. I lost the scion variety on a new tree that way this past spring.

o

Just a question-why not just buy dwarfs?

o

• Posted by mrclint z10SoCal Valley (My Page) on
    Tue, Nov 6, 12 at 11:17

If you cut the tree to knee height it will have a good size relative to you. I'm 6'4" so my knee height is some where closer to 2'. 15" is a good starting point but does not have to be adhered to strictly. The end game is to allow your trees to go no higher than you can reach while standing on the ground. If you are a shorter person or in a wheelchair go with a smaller relative size. Either way you get to the proper maintainable size in three years.

The fact that someone lost a tree (no matter how experienced) by cutting it at the knee should not give anyone pause. How many BYOC trees have they done successfully? I've done 20+ trees this way and have had no problems. Dave Wilson would not be in business if this didn't work, so assume many thousands have been done successfully by others.

There are more than likely other circumstances that lead to failure. Maybe the graft wasn't very good, or maybe the rootstock was dead too or had been allowed to dominate before the graft took hold/or had a chance to sprout. How often do we see rootstocks sprouting from a 2" to 3" nub? How often have you top worked a large diameter tree to find a sprout coming from way below seeming without rhyme or reason? A 15" to 2' trunk should be fine if all other variables are normal. Trees do have a will to live. :)

The reason to not buy dwarfs is that we can have a vigorous and healthy tree and manage the size by pruning. What good is a low vigor, unhealthy, unproductive or dead tree of perfect height?

Here is a link that might be useful: What Is Backyard Orchard Culture?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here