Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
maryhawkins99

Fruits in Beijing

maryhawkins99
10 years ago

I was in Beijing for a few days. All the street markets were selling fresh jujube's. They looked like Li's; most were half brown, inside was all green (unlike those I grow, which are partially green when ripe). Taste had a little acid, like a Granny Smith apple, they were very good.

Most of the persimmons in the street markets were Tamopan's. I had one, it was very good, on a par with my Giombo's (unlike the Tamopan's Ivve had in Texas, which are good but not exceptional). There were also Fuyu types. Persimmons were everywhere, but there were more apples than persimmons.

I went to an upscale place for Peking Duck; there were Ume Plums, Umeboshi, on the bar counter. For desert everyone received a complementary dozen fresh jujube's served on ice.

Driving through the countryside there were many orchards; tour driver said they were peaches & apples; appeared to be grown like here, 10-15 ft spacing, 10-15 ft tall.

I also went to Korea & saw a jujube farm & pear farm; I'll post some info when I find the pictures

Comments (5)

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths