Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
biomed_gw

best pluots for zone 6.

Biomed
11 years ago

I am looking for 2 high quality pluots to grow for zone 6. Plz recommend.

Comments (12)

• andrew_swmo
    11 years ago

The 4x1 Zee Sweet Pluot (Splsh/E.Drop/F.Gren/G.Pride) from Raintree sounds interesting. I might get it myself. Her is a link http://www.raintreenursery.com/4x1_Zee_Sweet_Pluot_Splsh_E.Drop_F.Gren_G.Pride.html

• foolishpleasure
    11 years ago

I love to eat Plout but where I was born we never heard about it. What region of the world did the plout originate.
    Abe

• foolishpleasure
    11 years ago

I looked at 4X1 Zee sweet plout tree. It looks very good but I am a newbie and Raintree site does not have any information. I live in Zone 7B when the winter is freezing. Does the tree stands this kind of winter or it needs protection. This will tell me how to plant it in the ground or into a pot. Is it self pollinating I guess it is because the tree is four kinds. The tree they are selling for 45-46 dollars how old and how big is it? If I plant it this fall can it produce in summer?

• Scott F Smith
    11 years ago

Most pluots are hard to grow outside of the west coast. The main problems are lack of fruit set and diseases (brown rot in particular). My favorites are Flavor Grenade, which sets very well but is prone to rot, and Flavor Supreme, which sets almost nothing at all but otherwise is very reliable. I got a dozen Flavor Supremes on my whole tree last summer. So when I say low set I mean LOW. I got half a Flavor Grenade off my young tree, the rest rotted. I hope to do a bit better than that at least. The other varieties of pluot are generally only harder to grow than these two. Well I did hear Flavor Heart might be OK. My Flavor King also rots badly. I did pretty well last summer on that one, but the deer decided they liked them so I got only one fruit. Ten years .. two fruits (I also got one 3-4 years ago).

Overall you are far better off getting some more reliable Japanese plums, including Satsuma, Purple Heart, Shiro, Santa Rosa, etc. If you are adding your 6th plum variety only then is it time to start contemplating a pluot as an experiment: you will be getting good fruit anyway and its perhaps worth a risk.

Scott

• foolishpleasure
    11 years ago

I talked to a friend of mine and he told me what Scott said plout is very hard to grow outside of the west coast namely California. Scot experience is discouraging 2 fruits in 10 years. I don't have that patience. I live in similar zone like Scott which has sub-freezing Temp in winter. I am struggling raising Figs in that Zone From Hauling 10 Gallon pots inside the house to building home made green house (not easy at all) I am not looking for more trouble.
    Abe

• theaceofspades
    11 years ago

I have fifteen plum trees in my home orchard. Including grafts, I have around a hundred plum varieties. Dapple Dandy has become the top pluot/plum in my orchard this season. Yummy. It sets clusters on the side where the Fortune plum is planted.

• Scott F Smith
    11 years ago

Ace, what pluots have been working for you? I heard in the past of people having problems with Dapple Dandy, yours is the first success I have heard on it (on the east coast of course).

Scott

• Noogy
    11 years ago

Scott
    Do you think the salt in the air has something to do with his success?
    I was thinking maybe it would inhibit fungi/bacteria. Ace I hope your trees
    Are fine.

• fruitcraz
    11 years ago

I have a flavor supreme next to a santa rosa and still get marginal fruit set. The flavor is very good except it tends to crack and low fruit set.

• Scott F Smith
    11 years ago

Noogy, disease susceptibility varies a lot from site to site. I also expect Ace is spraying a lot more for brown rot than I am. My view is why grow difficult fruits when there are easy fruits that taste just as good. Satsuma and Santa Rosa get almost no rot at all, even in a horrible rot year.

Scott

• Noogy
    11 years ago

Thanks for you opinion, Scott. I'm with you on low maintenance. I'm in a hilly area, so I have a little experience with variations like dew, air circulation, frost pockets. I know that in the elevated areas along my driveway my interlaken and canadice grapes did really well this year, but my buffalo on the east side of my house lost all of it's flowers to frost along with everything else.
    Thanks again.

• Lori Jacobson
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

so a pluot would be too high maintenance??

I was hoping to get variety - also on east coat - MA

I have a satsuma = fantastic fruit this year and planted a santa rosa 2 years ago - still waiting for fruit..

I have 2 spots left wanted something different - nectarine and pluot but If it's not worth the trouble I'll re evaluate that ! - very quickly.

thanks

Sponsored
Grow Landscapes
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Planning Your Outdoor Space in Loundon County?