Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
greenmulberry

Bare foot trees arriving today

greenmulberry
9 years ago

A friend got me a membership to Arborday which came with a bunch of bareroot trees. I got an apricot and a cherry, Chinese chestnut and the rest white pine. Now we ordered the trees mi d summer, knowing they would come in November, however the Arborday site assured that they would be fine planted in November.

The trees are arriving today. It has been in the teens during the day and single digits at night all week. Last Sunday I dug something out of the ground and the top inch of soil was frozen. I can't imagine I will have much more success now. If I can even dig holes, should I still try to get them in the ground? Can I somehow hold them over winter in my unheated garage?

I am not so worried about those pines, but the cherry, apricot, and chestnut I would like to have a good chance of making it.

Why do they wait so long as I ship? I was skeptical of this, but they are tree advocates. I figured they know the right thing to do.

Comments (6)

• drew51 SE MI Z5b/6a
    9 years ago

Why do they wait so long as I ship? I was skeptical of this, but they are tree advocates. I figured they know the right thing to do.

Ha! They have a bad reputation as sellers. I would never get trees from them. As long as the ground is workable you can plant, but it sounds like it's a close call. I myslef would plant them anyway. healing them in all winter is out. keeping them inside is out. So potted in the garage is the only other option.

• floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK
    9 years ago

Sometimes our slips of the fingers produce such felicitous typos. I love the concept of bare foot trees. I imagine them as a bit wild and bohemian, possibly with long trailing branches brushing the woodland floor.

• greenmulberry
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Yeah I saw that typo after and just had to laugh. I will get them in the ground however I can I guess. The person who bought me the membership I think just wanted to support a nice cause, and they were very cheap. So I will just have to see how they do I suppose.

• bob_z6
    9 years ago

You could have a chance to plant this weekend- it is supposed to get back into the 40's for both days. Though you may need to dodge rain showers...

Here's an article on some of the difficulties nurseries have with fall shipping bareroot trees. It is written by a nursery which is tooting its own horn, but the content is still pretty interesting.

• drew51 SE MI Z5b/6a
    9 years ago

Hey I would take the trees too! Good luck with them Planting is the best option. Let us know in the spring if they leaf out.

• appleseed70
    9 years ago

greenmulberry...get ready to be disappointed when you see those trees. They are gonna be small, but don't be discouraged no matter what anyone here says. There are however a lot better places to get trees from, no doubt.
    The biggest, prettiest and best fruit tree I have, came from Arborday and at the time cost I think $6.98. It has provided my family with beauty in the yard and probably over 140 lbs. of spectacular ( truly something special) fruit in just 3 years fruiting. It is a Methley plum.
    I also have a Montmorency cherry that produces fruit every year and it's good too...I don't net it so the birds like it more than we do, but that's ok. My wife made a great cobbler this year...the birds got the rest.

Arborday's trees take more time and come with greater risk and they are not as good as other better nurseries at getting things right, but they are WAY cheaper. They get some people growing who may otherwise would not have. If a really good nursery could duplicate their advertising campaign...they'd really have something going.

This post was edited by Appleseed70 on Thu, Nov 20, 14 at 2:55

Sponsored
Fresh Pointe Studio
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators | Delaware County, OH