Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Plum Tree Damage

Posted by Grak Arkansas 7 (My Page) on
Thu, Nov 8, 12 at 11:04

I planted this plumb tree last fall. I did no soil amendment other then compost in to mulch. I dug twice the width of the pot(5ft), and dug a 3inX6in trench around the perimeter. It's planted quite literally in rock(backfilled with top soil). We have webworm here but they pretty well stick to the elms. I've picked two webworm "egg sacks" off the tree. Leaves were fine until it got cold. Leaves fell off like normal, now has three new growth branches, healthy looking green limbs and leaves. I don't know anything about fruit trees. I planned to thin the tree back this spring. Why are the branches exploding? I would say 80% of all(big and small) branches have this... design? I've spent roughly 10 hours browing pictures and reading but it doesn't seem to match any diseases... Any ideas would be appreciated. I don't have any other fruit tress for at least a block. Just oak.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Plum Tree Damage

• Posted by fruitnut z7b-8a,4500ft SW TX (My Page) on
    Thu, Nov 8, 12 at 12:26

Looks like bacterial canker. If there is a lot of that already in the tree after one year, then the tree isn't going to last long. I'd cut it out if you can. If there is too much to cut it all out, well sadly you might as well cut the tree down. Could be wrong so wait another year or two. You'll either get fruit or a dead tree.

o

• Posted by Grak none (My Page) on
    Fri, Nov 9, 12 at 0:26

Thank you for the response Fruitnut. I read recently that there is a lot of training involved in the first few years. So I planned a pretty severe pruning this spring anyhow. Worst case scenario is it dies. I will prune out all that is diseased and if it come back great, if not, not a huge loss.

o

do think about sterilizing your pruners after you work on this tree.. before using them on other trees ...

if you have a warranty. you might want to talk to the seller ... since you are w/in one year ...

ken

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here