Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
oscarmatic_gw

Pomegranate espalier for privacy in a narrow strip against fence

Oscarmatic
10 years ago

(I'm cross-posting from the "Plants for Difficult Places" forum, because there's not much activity there and this is also fruit tree question.)

Hi! I'm rehabilitating a pond and its surrounding plantings. It would be nice to add a planting between the pond and the fence to screen from the neighbor's windows.

We are in inland San Diego, Sunset zone 23 -- so no thirsty plants. I prefer something fruiting or floral, rather than evergreen. It should have a root system that won't be likely to damage or invade the concrete pond. It's too much to expect, but a tidy plant would reduce the amount of skimming to do in the pond. (We can dream!) The picture below shows the available planting area. The existing tree and philodendron will move, as will the low bush and vines. The screening is really only needed on the right side, but I'm inclined to either plant something wide or plant two for balance.

What do the experienced growers here think of trying an espalier pomegranate in this space? Or, could it be worthwhile to try to prune the old avocado tree to screen over the fence?

Suggestions and strong opinions are very much welcome!

Here is a link that might be useful: Also on

Comments (3)