Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
meister_z8b

What is this?

Meister_Z8b
9 years ago

I found this tree on some land my company just bought. It kinda looked like a peach/medlar to me. I didn't know if it was edible or not. Anyone have an insight?

I'm in central Texas - zone 8b.

This post was edited by Meister_Z8b on Thu, Nov 13, 14 at 14:20

Comments (23)

• Meister_Z8b
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Another close-up pic:

• floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK
    9 years ago

What is the scale of the picture? And what is the habit of the plant? Vine? Bush? The leaves, hips and thorns look like a rose. It's not a peach or a medlar.

• Meister_Z8b
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hi floral, the "fruits" in the picture were at head height (6 ft). This plant was like a smaller multi-trunked tree similar to a yaupon perhaps.

• Bradybb WA-Zone8
    9 years ago

If possible,it may be helpful to get different camera angles of the fruit and cut one open.I'd like to see the outer end. Brady

• milehighgirl
    9 years ago

Pomegranate?

Here is a link that might be useful: Pomegranate seeds Large fruit

• insteng
    9 years ago

It looks like a pomegranate to me as well.

• lucky_p
    9 years ago

Not a pomegranate.
    But, I don't know what it IS.

• appleseed70
    9 years ago

I've never seen anything like it. I even just searched photos of "unusual tree fruit" and although I saw a lot of wild stuff...I seen nothing like this. Can you pick one and get us some close-ups and cut it for some cross-sectional photos?
    I'm intrigued to say the least.

• Meister_Z8b
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hey all. Just FYI, I plan to go out to the land again this weekend to pick some of these fruits and branches for better pictures. So far I agree with floral the most, the closest thing I think it looks like now is a rose hip, but it is still white and fuzzy which still seems off.

I'll post more pics when I get the fruit, and I'll take some cross-sectional shots.

This post was edited by Meister_Z8b on Fri, Nov 14, 14 at 9:23

• floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK
    9 years ago

If you look at the whole picture and not just the fruit you'll see the leaves are pinnate and the stems have large thorns - so not a pomegranate.

• milehighgirl
    9 years ago

It's the stem of the fruits that has me intrigued. The fruit looks like a medlar but the leaves do not. It does look like it's from the Rosaceae family. (Okay, I love a mystery but I have not formal education, just guessing)

• mrsg47
    9 years ago

Love this one! I'm with milehigh, my first thought was medlar. Look at the leaves, those are not leaves of a rosebush.

• appleseed70
    9 years ago

The fruit looks more like a medlar to me but the foliage looks more like rose hips. I'm going on wiki info, because as far as I can remember I've never seen either of these things in my life.

• floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK
    9 years ago

The leaves absolutely rule out medlar. I have one and it does not have pinnate leaves, nor does it have thorns and nor does it have fuzzy fruit. But the fuzziness is weird for a rose too. At the moment we don't know the size of the fruit - that would be helpful.

• colonel_kernel
    9 years ago

Try: http://www.foragingtexas.com/?m=1

Maybe email these people to see if they know.

This post was edited by colonel_kernel on Sun, Nov 16, 14 at 7:38

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    9 years ago

I would post your additional images on the Name That Plant forum.

• plantloverkat north Houston - 9a
    9 years ago

Could it be a McCartney Rose? I've seen large mounds of them blooming in open fields in the Katy area before, but I've never seen them up close. I'm posting a link that has good photos of the leaves, stems and immature hips.

Here is a link that might be useful: Mccartney Rose

• floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK
    9 years ago

plantloverkat - I think you've got it.

• plantloverkat north Houston - 9a
    9 years ago

Here is a link for a book called "Grasses, Pods, Vines, Weeds: Decorating with Texas Plants" By Quentin Steitz. The link should open to the page on the Mccartney Rose (Rosa bracteata). If you scroll down to look at the heading "Pod Stage", you can find this description:
    "During development, the hip become fully round and the greenish color mellows to tan, followed by reddish tones.....Five very pointed sepals decoratively top the hip, creating a star like crest. Deepening to reddish mahogany, the hip develops firmly to a smooth surface, having lost the velvety texture, and becomes a decorative pod."

If I am understanding this correctly, then it seems like the hip would be velvety tan colored at some stage, before maturing to a smoother reddish hip. The photos that were posted look like a velvety tan hip to me.

Here is a link that might be useful: Grasses, Pods, Vines, Weeds: Decorating with Texas Plants By Quentin Steitz

• lucky_p
    9 years ago

Interesting; I'd been checking back to see if an ID was made - but also brings a point to the fore...sometimes something to lend an inkling of size/scale is helpful.
    I was looking at those 'fruits' and envisioning something comparable in size to a pomegranate...

• milehighgirl
    9 years ago

The stem and sepal of the fruit do not look like a Macartney rose to me, nor do the thorns of the tree.

• milehighgirl
    9 years ago

Meister,

Were you able to get to the property? If so, I'm dying to figure out this mystery.

• Meister_Z8b
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Sorry to all about not updating like I said. I was able to go out to the land, but I was unable to find the bush/tree again.

I think my boss might have bulldozed it! I am still checking with him to see if that is the case.

Based on the responses so far, I think it might be/have been a rose hip of some kind, but there were some qualities that looked unique to me.

Sponsored
Capital City Construction & Remodeling
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars6 Reviews
Franklin County's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living