Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
American persimmon

Posted by marsal Nj (My Page) on
Fri, Nov 8, 13 at 11:12

I think i have a female American Persimmon tree. It had 6 persimmons when i bought it. The last two years i get flowers which turn into tiny fruits and then they all drop gradually. I think i need a male but the nursery told me that since it turns to fruit i dont need a male. Any advice?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: American persimmon

Marsal,

Do you still remember the name of your persimmon tree? American Persimmon will drop fruits due to too much moisture in the ground. Too much fertilizer can also cause fruits drop.

Tony

o

• Posted by skyjs z8 OR, USA (My Page) on
    Sat, Nov 9, 13 at 2:09

Depending upon your amount of space, you might want to get a male tree. Don't pay full price for it. THey are cheaper. Most serious growers of American persimmons consider a fertilized fruit to be larger and a higher quality fruit than an unfertilized one. Check to see if it has seeds. If you have Meader you don't need a male.
John S
PDX OR

o

Thanks for your responses. I just found my tag. My persimmon is Nikita's Gift and it does say it is self pollinating. Yet, for two years in a row the fruit is formed the size of tiny grapes or chickpeas (for reference) and then fall. One year i was away in August and we had a dry spell so i thought it was lack of water. This year not the case and still they all fell.
Where can i buy a male and cheap? And another question, i have my tree fenced in from the deer. If i manage to get a male, can i place it outside the fence? Since the male does not bear fruit, will the deer let itbe?

o

Marsal,

Nikita's Gift is a hybrid persimmon, self fertile, No needs for a male. It does drop fruits for several years then after that the fruits will hold. Too much water or nitrogen will also cause fruits drop. My tree is about five years old now and about 12 ft tall. It produces lot of super sweet fruits annually.

Tony

o

Thanks Tony, i dont know how old my tree is. It had six big ones on it when i bought it. I have now had it for three years. This means that i dont have to go looking for a male. So 'God give me patience, but give it to me now'!
Salma

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here