Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
albert_135

Looking for a good quality ''wire saw''.

Back in the days of printed magazines and catalogs we would see a "wire saw" advertised for trimming trees.

Amazon has several in sports and recreation but the user reviews say their quality is unsatisfactory. I have Googled up GW's tool forum. While I am lurking there perhaps you would share here.

Have you had any satisfactory experiences with a "wire saw"? What brand?

[One can find plenty of accounts of unsatisfactory experiences.] ;-)

Comments (9)

• lucky_p
    10 years ago

I don't know anything about using a wire saw in horticultural pursuits, but in my former life, as a large animal veterinarian, I had occasion to use obstetrical wire saws on a regular basis, for fetotomies and dehorning.

Here is a link that might be useful: OB Wire saw

• olpea
    10 years ago

From a horticultural perspective I can't see much advantage to a wire saw.

Loppers will handle stuff up to 1.5". Hand saws will handle stuff larger than that and still get into tight places. I imagine they would be a lot faster than a wire saw.

I've had pruning get away from me and used a chain saw to bring things under control.

I've heard of a farmer using a chain saw for dehorning, but I'll save that for another discussion. Something I'm sure Lucky wouldn't recommend!

• Konrad___far_north
    10 years ago

You're better off with a real saw or pruner, wire saws for wood are slow, good to take along when on camping trips etc. small and light,..I've used it as a kid.

I've goggled in German, this guy say's the Relags wire saw works best with the straps on ends, easy on your hands, the one's with rings will hurt your fingers in no time.

Here is a link that might be useful: Relags wire saw

• calistoga_al ca 15 usda 9
    10 years ago

Since I have reached an age when my physical strength has been lost a lot, I have been forced to alternative ways to prune out large deadwood from my orchard. I now have a 2000 watt inverter mounted on my tractor which allows me to use 120 volt tools anywhere my tractor can go. Although I have a gasoline powered pole saw I have had for years I can no longer lift it. I now have an electric model that does the job with enough less weight to allow me to use it. Both the inverter and saw together cost less than $300. Al

• alan haigh
    10 years ago

The newer saw design has rendered those types obsolete, IMO. The advantage of these dwarf bow saws was that it allowed the use of a thinner blade but the advent of the "tricut" blade eliminates much of the clogging caused by sawdust and allows faster cutting than the best "wire saws" ever made. The bar holding the thinner blade interfered with access anyway.

I recommend Silky Gomtaro, 300 mm course cut if you want a serious pruning saw and I've tried many other models including much more expensive ones with longer blades. For a home orchard, the blade should last several seasons without sharpening. I replace the blades rather than sharpening them as tricuts are a difficult design to sharpen.

I get mine from A. M Leonard but there are other sources.

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    10 years ago

Why on earth would you want one?

• armyofda12mnkeys
    10 years ago

I have a 'camping wire saw' if thats what you mean... I've cut down 12inch small trees (fast growing Black Locusts that spread all over) with the 'Unbelievable Saw' (

• armyofda12mnkeys
    10 years ago

whoops i meant 8-10inch black locusts.

• drew51 SE MI Z5b/6a
    10 years ago

I use a reciprocating saw, a Zaw-Saw for small trees. I also have a number of chain saws for 2 to 5 foot diameter wood.
    Yes, I have some trees that large! I have a pruning saw, and a pole pruning saw, loppers too,

Sponsored
Native Plant Scapes
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
Your Friendly Native Plant Landscape Designers in Loudoun County