Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
redsun9

Blackberry Psyllid Damage

I have a couple of blackberry bushes I planted about 10 years ago. They were neglected and have not been productive. I recently found that they have the blackberry psyllid diseases all the years. They are close to the wild red cedar trees popping up nearby. This explains it.

I'm going to move the plants to a new berry bed. Over the winter, I'm going to cut off the sections with the distorted leaves.

Now some questions:

Do I need to spray as a preventative measure?
If I do need to spray, would the Paraffin oil (horticultural oil) good, or I need to use the Neem oil or the other insecticide on the canes?

Comments (7)

• drew51 SE MI Z5b/6a
    9 years ago

Well most native psyliids are not really harmful. it's the exotics that are a problem, and most are very plant specific. Ladybugs lacewings and parasitic wasps love these things. Why usually it's never a problem. Putting in beneficial flowers to attract these creatures could help. Every garden should have beneficial flowers anyway. This year I grew Borage, Zinnias, Cosmos, sedums (perennial), and Nasturtiums. My guess though is the distorted leaves are caused by a viral infection. Even if Psyliids the plants should be productive. They probably are there because the plants are compromised. A symptom not the cause. I would remove all plants, and do not plant brambles in that area.
    You could try eliminating pest and see if plants perform better. I would not move them as you will contaminate another spot. Yes, seems oil would work, any kind.
    Read label, it should have pests listed. I never heard of them distorting leaves, just pitting them or curling them, and some stunted growth. I never heard of them attacking brambles either.
    Aphids, yes, psyliids no. But i see they do! Same treatment either way. beneficials, soap or oil. Good luck!

Here is a link that might be useful: beneficial flowers

This post was edited by Drew51 on Tue, Nov 11, 14 at 21:35

• drew51 SE MI Z5b/6a
    9 years ago

Yeah best to try and eliminate pest and see if the cause. If symptoms remain, it could be a virus. Good luck, and let us know what you find out.

• RedSun (Zone 6, NJ)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I had this group of blackberry plants for many years, but never paid any attention to them. Any fruits, I just left to the birds. They have not been productive. So I looked up the insect and diseases of blackberry and here is the info:

http://www.fruit.cornell.edu/berrytool/raspberry/leavesstems/Raspcurling.htm

It is easy to see the blackberry phyllid problem. Infected canes would not set fruits.

I've cut off the damaged canes and will check the plants again next spring. Then I'll move them into the blackberry bed and take care of them. They still sent out strong canes. The new berry bed will be far away from the cedar trees. This will help to eliminate the problem.

I also saw the same problem with the wild blackberry plants. My berry beds will be away from the wild brambles.

• drew51 SE MI Z5b/6a
    9 years ago

Yeah I looked it up too, and they list virus, and aphids as causing leaf curl too and list them before psyliids, so I would be sure before I moved them. They should be easy to see when there. Not huge but big enough to clearly see them. Also no site I saw says they decrease productivity but it is well known virus infections do limit productivity. I would be worried about spreading virus to healthy plants. Although if close the spread would be hard to stop. Hope you're right! Good news is lady bugs love them. My brambles always are filled with lady bugs. I see them there than anywhere else, Lacewings too. So far the lacewings and lady bugs have removed all aphids for me. I have not had to spray at all. Just a few flowers and the place is loaded with them.I have never seen a psyliid around here although everything is covered with pine straw. I use it as a mulch on everything. I can get as much as I want for free, so use it.

Ok researched some more, and yes it can limit fruit, my bad, wrong about that. Good luck! Look for eggs, and yes remove damaged parts. Good luck, darn things!

This post was edited by Drew51 on Tue, Nov 11, 14 at 23:10

• RedSun (Zone 6, NJ)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Well, from the very beginning I thought this is virus, then I saw the photos from Cornell. I'm certain this is psyllid.

I think as long as I cut off the plants from the conifers, the psyllid should not be able to come back. Also, I'll cut off the infected canes and probably spray them just in case.

We have a lot of ladybugs. I hope they eat the bad bugs....

• drew51 SE MI Z5b/6a
    9 years ago

Yes, all lines of defense, I would use the oil too. Maybe alternate between oils. Mixing it up is always best. I saw they suggested malathion, if not organic and if no fruit, not a bad option. Of course right now the season is winding down. What i don't like about it is it kills lady bugs too. I probably would not use it unless all else fails. Next year will be the test. What you could do is spray malathion around the cedars. If they winter there, you may really hurt them.
    A spring spaying would work too, any strong insecticide. Sometimes these items go on sale this time of year.

If you want to remain organic Capt Jack's dead bug brew is a much stronger organic insecticide than neem oil. You could spray that around the cedars.
    Bonide makes it
    Captain Jack's Deadbug Brewî contains Spinosad (spin-OH-sid), a product first isolated from a naturally occurring soil dwelling bacterium that was collected on a Caribbean island from an abandoned rum distillery. Deadbug Brewî kills bagworms, borers, beetles, caterpillars, codling moth, gypsy moth, loopers, leaf miners, spider mites, tent caterpillars, thrips and more! Use on fruits, vegetables, berries, citrus, grapes, nuts and ornamentals.

Even though organic, doesn't mean it's safe. .
    I have not had a major pest problem. I have used other organic products like the stuff for snails, Sluggo. I do have a problem with snails eating strawberries, and pole bean leaves. I also have 5 pounds of diatomaceous earth.

This post was edited by Drew51 on Wed, Nov 12, 14 at 1:05

• RedSun (Zone 6, NJ)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I do not spray the red cedars. They are pests and I cut them down, a lot of them.

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting