Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Nikita'S Gift seeded with out a male tree

Posted by tonytran 5A Omaha, NE (My Page) on
Wed, Nov 6, 13 at 11:47

I was amazed that my NG has seeds and sought answers from Jerry Lehman.

Jerry,

I am a little puzzled why one of my Nikita's Gift fruit had 2 seeds and I have no Asian male persimmon. The only other Asian persimmon that had fruit for the last 2 years was Ichi Kei Ki Jiro. I tested the seeds by placing them in a glass of water and they sank to the bottom and that showed me that they are viable. I placed the seeds in the frig and will plant them in pots next spring. Could NG has male flower? Thx

Hi Tony,

Nikita's Gift (Nikitskaya Bordovaya) is a intraspecies hybrid of American X kaki. Most such hybrids produce few viable seeds. And when they do it can be by either of the hybrid's parent' species.

The seeds from your tree are most likely N. G. x virginiana. There is a very very remote possibility it is apomictic, but all my trees from seeds from Rosseyanka and Nikita's Gift are very different, therefore almost assuredly back crosses to virginiana.

I have never seen any male flowers on either of my Rosseyanka or Nikitskaya Bordovaya trees.

Jerry

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Nikita'S Gift seeded with out a male tree

Tony,
Have had Rosseyanka growing here for 10 years or more. Have tried several times to get a graft of NG going, but thus far, no success. Find a few seeds(never more than one per fruit - and in well less than 5% of fruits) in Rosseyanka, presumably from male D.virginiana in the area - though I have no males planted in the orchard; additionally, I *should* have 60-chromosome natives, not 90-chromosome, but these seed are viable - I grew out a dozen seedlings this year.

o

Lucky,

Thx for the Infos on Rossyanka persimmon. Mine probably will fruit next leaf. It has been in the ground for 3 yrs. if you want to try NG again just let me know in the spring.

Tony

o

Tony, maybe your Ichi-ki-kei Jiro produces male fruits,what do you think?Last year I had fruits on NG without seeds,but this year had flowering Jiro nearby and have seeds in fruits of both varieties.That is my opinion.But when you grow NG alone,should have no seeds.

o

Indicente,

So far my Ichi fruits are seedless. I will plant the NG seeds and see what happen in about 4-5 ys.

Tony

o

My NG had about two seeds/fruit. There are wild native persimmons in the town so my NG has likely been pollinated by D virginiana.
Does NG usually have a problem with premature fruit drop?
Also, is it true that NG is 75% kaki, and 25% virginiana?

o

Palmfan,

NG dropped fruits the first 2 years. NG is a seedling of Rossyanka X Kaki.

Tony

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here