Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
loquat pollination

Posted by creekweb 6 (My Page) on
Mon, Nov 15, 10 at 12:14

I have a sole loquat tree variety SESII indoors currently in bloom. Is there any need/advantage for me to pollinate the blooms myself say with a small paintbrush? Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: loquat pollination

After a little thought, I realized that pollinating the flowers was going to be unavoidable if I wanted any fruit, so I had a go at it with an artist's paintbrush. But a few flowers into the job, it became clear that I just wasn't cut out for this task - too tedious, too tall and too many blossoms - and I became increasingly convinced that this really was a job best left to the pros. So I began to wonder if any pollinators were still around outside to help me out. I wasn't thinking bees, but maybe some flies could still be around who might do some pollinating as a part time gig. So I hauled the tree back outside where it had spent the summer and put it in a nice sunny spot. And every so often I checked it ... but no one showed up. Nothing!... Eventually, resigned to my fate, I got my little paintbrush back out and returned to this most boring of jobs. Just then, I heard a buzzing from behind my left shoulder and none other than a bumble bee had joined me! I don't know who was happier, me or the bee, but I was out of there, off to better things leaving the loquat in good hands.

o
RE: loquat pollination

I had a tree that kept in a pot in the greenhouse in winter, I pollinated with a brush and a got a nice crop of delicious Loquats.

Bass

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here