Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
organic_frankieb

Cross-Pollination Dwarf Fugi apple trees?

organic_frankieb
15 years ago

I have been racking my brains about the cross pollination for Fugi Dwarf apple Trees. Nuseries tell me I need a cross pollinator and there are not many apple trees to grow in Florida zone 9. I saw the post where "Applenut" claims that fugi dwarf does not need a cross pollinator. Please set me straight with more information so I can be convinced that I can grow 2 fugi Dwrafs without cross pollinaton from another apple tree. Bewildered and still trying to get the best information and the facts...Please someone educate me.

Comments (4)

• Embothrium
    15 years ago

I'd start off by Googling "pollination fuji" or similar terms and seeing what I got. Note that it is spelled "fuji", like the mountain.

• geraldo_linux
    15 years ago

Fuji will benefit from pollination. I used to grow them commercially and I would not want to forgo cross pollination. I think that you will find that there is some other variety in your neighborhood that is cross pollinating your Fuji trees.
    If I lived where you lived I would consider Cripps Pink or Cripps Red.
    And, not to nitpick, but it makes no difference if it is on a dwarf root or not, it is still a Fuji.

• glenn_russell
    15 years ago

Hi organic_frankieb-
    Forgive me if you've already been down this road, but have you tried searching for a basic "Apple Pollination Chart"? Here's one that I use. I would suspect you could find some a chart or two which is from a nursery which is closer to you. If so, perhaps you'd find a few more apples to choose from, in addition to the ones that Geraldo mentioned. Good luck.
    -Glenn

• jellyman
    15 years ago

Frankieb:

If that "organic" in your handle means you plan to try to grow Fuji or other apples in a zone 9 climate without the use of any chemical pesticides or fungicides, pollination will be the least of your worries.

You don't give us your location, but I can't think of many places in zone 9 where organic culture of apples is a practical possibility. Here in N. Virginia zone 6/7, if I tried to grow apples without any chemical sprays at all I would be producing zero decent apples, and I might start losing trees. I bag my apples in ziploc bags to try to reduce spraying to a minimum, but that's not enough to keep both the fruit and trees healthy.

Some of the newer disease resistant cultivars can be very helpful on disease issues, but they are not magic and are resistant, not immune to diseases. There are no insect resistant trees or apples, and Fuji has no resistance of any kind.

You will discover all this yourself by about the second year of growing your little Fuji. I am just trying to save you some time. Safers Soap or other organic concoctions will not cut the mustard here.

Don Yellman, Great Falls, VA