Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Identification

Posted by nevermore44 6b (My Page) on
Tue, Nov 20, 12 at 12:29

Anyone know what this plant is?

This plant popped up in my strawberry bed last fall and I let it grow this year.

-It has grown several (what i would call) thornless canes to about 2.5feet long that arc towards the ground.
-The plant is about 2.5 tall.
-The compound leaves get to about 5 inches wide on the largest/oldest portions.
-No fruit or flowers so far.
-All the leaves have the exact same 5-leaf form from top to bottom.
-The leaves are soft/pliable like what i know of berries plants.

Any ideas?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Identification

Some sort of Rubus but not enough to go on for any more detailed an id.

o

That's what I am assuming, but all the images i see have 3 leaves instead of the 5.

I will get a pick of the plant and stems to see if that helps.

o

Well, that's weird. 5 is very common. If you Google 'blackberry leaf' you'll see plenty.

o

Looks like blackberry to me. Might be a blackberry/raspberry hybrid I suppose.

o

Looks like a typical blackberry leaf to me. Not much raspberry influence, if at all (the leaf underside is normal green).

That is a lot of growth for a second-year seedling; if the plant popped up the first year as just a very tiny version of a mature blackberry plant, that is a seedling. If the plant first popped up as something with nearly normal-sized leaves, that would be from a piece of blackberry root, it got into your bed somehow, or came underground from a distant plant.

o

Could be a blackberry. Are their thorns? If not check thornless hybrids.

o

Stake it up and see what kind of fruits you get in a year or two. Its definitely a blackberry and the wild ones are generally not thornless so it must have "escaped".

Scott

o

Thanks all for the input. I will definitely get a shot of the plant... couldn't this morning.

It is completely thornless. It had to have come from seed since I have never grown berries and the neighbors just have barren yards. I did start in my strawberry patch that i made the year before it started out of almost complete compost.. so it's well fed.

o

The compost may have had the blackberry seed in it.

o

...or the compost mixture had a piece of root in it. Did you disturb the soil below the bed?

More likely birds, they can excrete seeds over great distances.

o

If it grows into vines, consider Virginia creeper. Their leaves look very similar and they are weedy opportunists.

o

• Posted by skyjs z8 OR, USA (My Page) on
    Tue, Nov 27, 12 at 0:58

It looks EXACTLY like my thornless blackberry plants.
John S
PDX OR

o

Doesn't look like Virginia Creeper to me. VC has more of a 5-pointed star shape with deeper edges on the leaves.

Here is a link that might be useful: Virginia Creeper Vine & English Ivy in Rain

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here