Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
WHAT on earth is this? see picture...

Posted by scuzzynutty CA (My Page) on
Sun, Nov 18, 12 at 12:35

Hi, I saw this weird stuff growing on one of the branches of my Persimmon tree. What is it? Seems like there's a few ants feasting on it too, it scraped a little with a spade and it seems hard.

Anyone know what it is?
Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: WHAT on earth is this? see picture...

Some kind of scale insect?

o

Yes, I have similar things on oak trees, it doesn't seem to be a problem.

July 4, 2012

A sweet substance must be there in the early stage, [food].

o

Konrad, you have oak galls. The wasp is a carnivore looking for some meat. If the galls are still there, cut one open. You likely will find a tiny white worm, the actual gall. The Persimmon looks like it has scale. The ants farm the scale and eat the sugary drops they make. Nature generally keeps both pests at a low level.

Galls rarely hurt the oaks (can kill small branches), scale are a time bomb waiting for conditions that allow them to explode their populations. Persimmons shed copious amounts of small branches, and since scale are usually only on small branches, they get shed along with the wood.

o

Thank you Dzitmoidonc,.. good to know!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here