Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
vinays_gw

Help me id this Wild fruit plants

vinays
10 years ago

Hi,

Can someone help id this fruit plant?

This looks like some sort of a wild Gauva plant. The skin flesh was a bit hard, and not at all tasty to eat.

Inside it was a light brown hard shell, when I broke into it, found some brown soft edible fruit with small seeds.

Inside part was very tasty and sweet. Don't think the outer skin is meant to be eaten.

We have around 50 of these in our Farm (in India).

Any help in identifying would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,
Vinay

Comments (16)

• fabaceae_native
    10 years ago

I have no idea, only that it does not sound like any type of guava due to the hard shell. It could very easily be in the same family though, Myrtaceae. This is a major plant family in that part of the world... you might even try looking at photos of genera within the Myrtaceae that have edible fruit, if you think it really does resemble a guava outwardly.

Good luck, sounds like a fun mystery...

• murkwell
    10 years ago

The leaves and fruit look an awful lot like feijoa, but the description of the inside does not.

• Fascist_Nation
    10 years ago

Great find!!!!

I have no idea since I would have said guava too until you described the interior.

Thought it might be Aegle marmelos, but I don't think so.

Might help to do a image of the fruit bisected laterally and longitudinally to show off the interior along with a small centimeter stick for measure.

• jean001a
    10 years ago

It looks like a pineapple guava. A Feijoa species. The fruit interior is sweet when fully ripe.

• larry_gene
    10 years ago

The above pictured plant has non-silvered leaf undersides, external veining on the fruit, extreme right-angle growth habit, and an uncurled residual calyx, all different from feijoa characteristics. Feijoas have a long thin stem like cherries, they do not form right off of woody growth.

Also, feijoa would not be "wild" in India although it is grown there in cooler regions.

This post was edited by larry_gene on Sat, Nov 9, 13 at 23:38

• goyo626 S.Cal.8b/SZ20
    10 years ago

Looks nothing like a guava. The leaves are too small and the wrong shape. the branches/trunks look nothing like a guava. And the fruit looks nothing like the fruit ive seen in any guava tree I own.

• vinays
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I did try cutting the raw ones, it did look like Feijoa, the ripe one was different. Next time when I visit the farm I will check again.

The folks around assumed these to be some wild plants, not sure who had planted these over there.

Is Feijoas good for cultivation?

Thanks,
    Vinay

• fabaceae_native
    10 years ago

All guavas, and feijoas (which are excellent fruit in my opinion much worthy of cultivation), are soft all the way through from the outside to the seeds. There is no rind or shell to speak of, only a different colored outside to the fruit, that can hardly even be called a "skin".

I agree with Goyo about the leaf differences, but these can vary so much within one genus even...

Hope someone else out there has some ideas for you...

• larry_gene
    10 years ago

Where in India are you? In the U.S.feijoas do not fruit well in the hotter climates, or in colder short-season climates. They are grown in India, it should not be hard for you to find out what region.

There are three species in the feijoa's genus, we need pictures of some of your fruits cut open.

I did look at a list of perhaps a dozen wild India fruits, none matched yours. Is your fruit planted in orderly rows?

• jean001a
    10 years ago

good images of feijoa here, including flowers. Not the same but very similar.
    http://foodforward.org/2013/10/fruit-of-the-month-pineapple-guava/

Here is a link that might be useful: pineapple guava

• murkwell
    10 years ago

Have you seen them in bloom?

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    10 years ago

perhaps the botanists in the NAME THAT PLANT FORUM .. might take a stab at it ...

ken

• larry_gene
    10 years ago

...good suggestion, there are several members over there who either put in the ID time or just know a ton of stuff. If the OP here does not follow up, I will re-post the picture there.

• vinays
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for the suggestions Ken & Larry.

I am planning to visit my farm this weekend, I will try to get photos of inside of the fruit.

Will post both of those in the other Forum as well.

Regards,
    Vinay

• vinays
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Got one picture of it using a simple phone camera. Hope it helps.

Thanks,
    Vinay

• larry_gene
    10 years ago

Your fruit does not have the distinct 4- or 5-lobed pattern typical of the interior flesh of feijoas. The rind thickness is similar, your fruit is more seedy. I do not see evidence of the hard shell you first mentioned, unless it is very thin.

If this is wild, native fruit, some person local to your farm will know the name.

Try posting the images on the Name That Plant forum as mentioned above. You might have to rename the images to re-post them there, otherwise just provide links to these.