Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Indoor Strawberry and Blueberry growing during Winter?

Posted by TieMint 6 (My Page) on
Tue, Nov 27, 12 at 13:06

I was really hoping to grow some vegatables this year, but with my clay soil I had gotten near, but no harvest. So, I'm curious whether I can grown Straw and Blueberry's indoors during the Winter. Would blue growing light's be okay or would I have to get something bigger like florescent lights? And can they with-stand a small chill?

I don't know where (I think its the Kitchen windows) that are creating a draft. Plus, would placing them outside in the sun help them more than the grow light's?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Indoor Strawberry and Blueberry growing during Winter?

Both strawberries and blueberries require winter dormancy and chilling in order to fruit successfully, so growing them indoors over the winter would be counterproductive.

Here is a link that might be useful: Raintree Nursery's Chill Hours Overview

o

Some of the southern highbush require only a couple hundred hours of chill and after that is met you could bring them in to stimulate spring. The problem is that indoor light especially winter sunlight is weak and short and the BB need that intensity and length of light to make good quality sweet fruit. If you still want to try use Sunshine blue. My BB have flowers and fruit on them now.....they always do that some every fall but the resulting fruit even if it does ripen is lousy.

Now strawberries would probably work better. Here in Florida they start picking them about Nov 1 and go all the way through till April so I know they will ripen under the less intense and less hours of winter sunshine. Good luck.

o

Bamboo's comment about strawberries in Florida (I assume that they're cold stored until November so that they'll fruit) reminded me of something fruitnut mentioned sometime back. If I'm remembering correctly, he added a freezer (for chilling plants) and high intensity lighting to his already impressive setup so that he could produce fruit out of season. At least, that's what I think I recall. So, if you're willing to do a little artificial manipulation, bamboo is certainly right that you might be able to pull something off, especially with strawberries thanks to their low chill requirements.

o

Sorry...with regard to the Florida strawberries, that should have been "cold stored prior to planting so that they'll fruit." I'm guessing that they grow them as annuals and replace them every year?

o

I believe you are correct that they are treated as annuals. There is 25 acres of them just up the road and they are so cheap I have never grown them. Toward the end of the season you can buy them for $5 a flat.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here