Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hungryfrozencanuck

The Permaculture Orchard: Beyond Organic - Fall 2014 update

Hi all,

The Permaculture Orchard: Beyond Organic documentary came out this summer after being filmed in 2013. Following a organic permaculture farmer in southern Quebec.

They have posted a 1 year update responding to some questions brought up from the video. Some of you might find it interesting. As for the documentary, some interesting information, much you can find elsewhere but at only $25 for a high definition digital download it is beautifully filmed and a nice way to spend an hour or two on a cold winter day.

http://www.permacultureorchard.com/fall-2014-update-video/

Comments (15)

• Konrad___far_north
    9 years ago

Thank you hungry for this update,...I've seen the last video about a year ago.
    Looks like, even they have their ups and down, ...not so enthusiastic this fellow as in the first video.

• Kevin Reilly
    9 years ago

Nice video thanks for sharing

• Mike Hughes
    9 years ago

I'm glad people are doing this type of research. There is a local orchard that went "Beyond Organic" last year now I know where they got the idea. I think some of the ideas could work well with disease resistant cultivars as long as you can deal with ugly fruit.

• fabaceae_native
    9 years ago

You should not have to deal with ugly fruitâ¦
    It is ironic that he talks about the importance of choosing fruit appropriate to the area, and he obviously considers apples to fall into that category even though they can turn out pretty ugly for him (although this may have been just in alternate years when the a few fruit got all the bugs⦠I think he may have said something to that effect).

Bottom line, if you are growing the right crops for your area, and using good cultural practices, you should not have to spray or deal with ugly fruit.

• skyjs
    9 years ago

I think some places have more disease and pest pressure than others. Generally, warm and moist has the most pressure. Clearly, New Mexico isn't among the places with the greatest pressure.
    I am trying to get to where I can grow fruit without any remedies and they look perfect, but I'm a long ways from that.
    John S
    PDX OR

• appleseed70
    9 years ago

I for one have given up on any hope of even remotely decent fruit with no spray. For those that can pull it off it's great.

• drew51 SE MI Z5b/6a
    9 years ago

Part of the problem is many pests are not native so have no natural enemies here, hard to fight them organically.

• MrClint
    9 years ago

I found the videos very informative, interesting and not at all preachy. Just a friendly grower sharing his approach, thought processes, and goals -- then speaking freely about his successes and failures. His experimental nature is refreshing. Thanks for sharing!

• appleseed70
    9 years ago

Part of the problem is many pests are not native so have no natural enemies here, hard to fight them organically.

Good point Drew! What would one plant to attract what to combat Japanese Beetles. Does PC even have natural enemies? If they do they must not be very successful.

I found the videos very informative, interesting and not at all preachy. Just a friendly grower sharing his approach, thought processes, and goals -- then speaking freely about his successes and failures. His experimental nature is refreshing. Thanks for sharing!

I agree. I expected some hippie "pie-in the sky" hoopla. but this dude was pretty honest and forthright. I couldn't believe they even bothered to show those twisted up cat-faced wormy apples. The guy is obviously intelligent and I couldn't help wondering how he believes this works adequately. I actually felt bad for the guy because he got into this because he cares and believes he can make it work. I regretfully do not feel as though this will be a successful enterprise.
    I wish him luck and I hope he is successful because folks like that deserve it.

• fabaceae_native
    9 years ago

Skyjs,
    You are probably right about NM, but aren't there some things that give you pretty fruit organically even in your warm/moist climate?

My point is that what will grow organically without pest/disease problems in a given place is always going to be only a fraction of the fruiting plants available (just like the weeding out that cold hardiness performs). Part of the problem is how set in our ways we are as humans⦠that we want to grow/eat the same things regardless of where we live.

• northwoodswis4
    9 years ago

With the SWDs making their ugly appearance, we may have to develop a taste for little white worms. Protein, you know. I haven't heard that they carry any disease, at least.
    Northwoodswis

• Konrad___far_north
    9 years ago

Some info. in the link, a study was done with cellulose sheets to keep some pests away.

Here is a link that might be useful: Management of weeds, apple sawfly (Hoplocampa testudinea Klug) and plum curcuclio (Conotrachelus nenuphar Herbst) with cellulose sheeting

• alan haigh
    9 years ago

We are still in the primitive stages of pest control. Folks who believe that it is impossible for science and chemistry to develop synthetic compounds that are a part of a sustainable agriculture seem short sighted and anti-science to me.

I don't blame them for feeling this way, given the general shortsightedness of the likes of Monsanto selling products that become obsolete by design within a decade and/or are very detrimental to the environment, but synthetic chemicals are part of the glue that holds our existence as a species together.

To suggest that there is something wrong in the nature of people to want more than the indigenous species of their particular environment is an interesting perspective, but sometimes the natives aren't really very productive and are inefficient sources of food even if they don't require spray.

I would still like to see more money invested in breeding apple, peach, plum, etc varieties for insect resistance. How do you make the funding for this happen?

• drew51 SE MI Z5b/6a
    9 years ago

How do you make the funding for this happen?

Educate the public. Government funding is too inefficient and wasteful to be very useful for anything but basic research. But if people want cleaner foods, and a demand develops for it, and it has with the demand for organics. It makes it more worthwhile for companies to spend the money on research.
    My problem with synthetics has nothing to do with Monsanto. I don't really have a problem with them. My concern is we still don't understand ecosystems very well and are throwing hand grenades at it with synthetics. the disruption of the ecosystems is concerning to me.
    We don't know what we are doing. The arrogance of man is a huge deficient to the species. Man even thinks it can change the environment, which is a huge joke! Yes, to a small degree, but hit with an S happens, and mother nature doesn't take orders from man. We really need to figure out which hill to die on. To choose our battles wisely.
    The way I see things we are in the age of ignorance, as the amount of ignorance of man is at extremely dangerous levels. We end up doing more harm than good. I'll use one example, and try not to go for the obvious one, did you know we use more energy to recycle a plastic bottle than to start from scratch? How is that saving anything???
    Oh but it makes us feel so much better. Emotion is a huge deficient. Logic is thrown out the window. How can we do that to the polar bears!? (when populations are growing out of control, and man is on their menus). Wow, what we do just floors me. You know a polar bear will follow a group of men, and pick off the last one. Often nobody notices for awhile. Hey where's Johnny? So best be in front in polar bear territory.

• alan haigh
    9 years ago

Except that the plastic is choking our oceans, and so forth and so on...