Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Apple Tree to Pair With Harvest Gold Crabapple

Posted by thapranksta Mid TN 6B (My Page) on
Thu, Nov 14, 13 at 13:45

I realize most people do this the other way around. They select an apple tree and then attempt to find a crabapple (or another apple) that will help to pollinate it. However, I have a Harvest Gold Crabapple (or so it was labeled :-P) that came from Lowes and I started to think if it might be a good idea to plant an apple tree since I have a viable pollinator and space.

The problem is the only thing I've read is that crabapples bloom for longer periods than apples. I do not know how long the bloom period is exactly and what apple pollination groups (early spring, mid spring, late spring) I should be able to successfully pair with it

Does anyone have any experience with Harvest Gold and other apples? Or the expected bloom length of crabapples?

Thanks.

This post was edited by thapranksta on Thu, Nov 14, 13 at 13:47

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Apple Tree to Pair With Harvest Gold Crabapple

With apples you normally don't have to worry about pollination if you're in town or there are other trees up to a mile away.

o
RE: Apple Tree to Pair With Harvest Gold Crabapple

I have no idea if anyone else nearby has an apple tree or what varieties they have if they do. So I thought I'd make sure by getting an apple that the crabapple could pollinate.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here