Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Fruitnut: Did you try cottonseed meal?

Posted by shazaam NC 7B (My Page) on
Fri, Nov 30, 12 at 14:28

Fruitnut:

I was reading through a thread that you started in April of 2011 ("One and 7 yr blueberry growth with pictures"), and I saw that you mentioned that you were going to try cottonseed meal as a nitrogen source for your blueberries and other potted fruits. Did you try it? If so, were you happy with the results?

Here is a link that might be useful: One and 7 yr blueberry growth with pictures

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Fruitnut: Did you try cottonseed meal?

• Posted by fruitnut z7b-8a,4500ft SW TX (My Page) on
    Fri, Nov 30, 12 at 16:23

shazaam:

I never could find any. They don't sell it in our small town.

o

That's too bad -- I guess I'll have to do the experimenting myself for a change. :) Actually, I did try incorporating cottonseed meal in my blueberry potting mix this spring. The bushes did very well, but I also fertilized periodically with a weak MirAcid solution...so it's hard to draw any firm conclusions.

There's one other question that I've been wanting to ask you, as well -- when you fertilize potted blueberries with ammonium sulfate, are you also supplementing with something else to provide P, K, and micro nutrients?

o

• Posted by fruitnut z7b-8a,4500ft SW TX (My Page) on
    Fri, Nov 30, 12 at 18:45

Mine have done fine with only ammonium sulfate. My mix has been composted rat litter. Apparently that has enough of everything else to grow great blueberry bushes.

Other plants fertilized with a complete fertilizer for acid loving plants have done about the same. Now I can't find that anymore either, the Osmocote brand.

o

Look for cottonseed meal in a feed store, not a garden center.

I've used a lot of it over the years on blueberries with seeming success.

o

Thanks for your replies, fruitnut. I'm hoping to experiment with fertilizing regimens next year, and your results with ammonium sulfate are very impressive. Tentatively, I'm going to compare at least one synthetic/chemical approach using tapla's 5-1-1 potting mix and one organic approach using a modified version of the 5-1-1 mix that includes leaf mold and cottonseed meal. I might experiment a bit with containers, as well. My plants in plastic pots have done very poorly compared to those in terracotta and fabric pots, and I'd like to see if that's a limitation that I can overcome or whether I should forego plastic entirely.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here