Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
forever_a_newbie_z8_va

Mislabeled mulberry tree - malus, black mulberry 'ISSAI'?

Yesterday I bought a mulberry tree from a local nursery on late season sale. This was the only one left. It was labeled as 'black mulberry, malus, 'ISSAI''.
When I got home I checked on internet to find information. However it looks like this is quite wrong. The only information I found about 'ISSAI' is a new variety that Loggee developed and it would be a dwarf plant which can be grown in pots and even indoors.
Malus, on the other hand, seems to be 'white' and certainly not dwarf.
The plant had dropped all the leaves, and it is about 3 feet tall in 3 or 5 gallons pot. Does not sound like a dawrf variety, do you think? What is most likely the right type if you can make a guess?
Thanks very much
Changsong

Comments (11)

• drew51 SE MI Z5b/6a
    10 years ago

ISSAi was not developed by Logees, and it will grow to 8 feet in the ground. 8 feet is rather small for a mulberry so it is certainly a dwarf. Many dwarf mulberries exist. Well a few. Weeping, and Girardi are a couple of others. Black Beauty is rather small too.
    Malus is a genus of crabapples and apples. Which include thousands of plants.
    So yeah it is mislabeled. Not sure how that equates to a white mulberry? It may be a crabapple?
    I saw no reference for the word Malus, but it certainly could be, but doubtful. False malus or something makes more sense. Or malus-like in latin or greek. I guess you will have to grow it out, if you can keep it alive. Loss of leaves is common when you move a plant. It can recover, or die.
    A 3 foot dwarf mulberry in a pot is more common than unusual, as i said it can grow to 8 feet, and that is a big pot, so size tells us nothing.

This post was edited by Drew51 on Mon, Nov 18, 13 at 14:59

• forever_a_newbie_VA8
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you very much Drew
    'Malus is a genus of crabapples and apples.' Exactly what I found on the internet. Most references to Malus link to apples and very few linked to 'white mulberry'. That is what confused me.
    Most of the deciduous trees here have dropped leaves so I'm not worried about the plant. I'll see what happens next spring when it leaves out. Even if it is a crab apple tree I will be happy. I love its blossoms.
    Happy gardening.

• drew51 SE MI Z5b/6a
    10 years ago

Crabapples are nice trees, and really help pollinate apples. A must if you grow apples. Also the ISSAI looks like a really nice mulberry. Fruits can be as large as blackberries.
    Mulberry jam is to die for! I actually want an ISSAI,. I'm looking for small mulberries.

• forever_a_newbie_VA8
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Floral: Here is a couple picture. I think it is very possible they mixed morus with malus

The label reads exactly as following:
    Malus 'Issai'
    Mulberry - ISSAI

Thanks very much

• strudeldog_gw
    10 years ago

that sure looks like a mulberry. It is not a apple

• forever_a_newbie_VA8
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Strudeldog: Thanks very much. I've been waiting to have a mulberry tree. Can't wait for next year. Happy gardening!

• floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK
    10 years ago

Yes, definitely Morus, not Malus. Someone at the nursery got their genuses confused.

• forever_a_newbie_VA8
    Original Author
    10 years ago

floral, thank you! you all made my day. Changsong

• Bettyb123
    10 years ago

I've been in MN for 14 yrs and have tried to grow a mulberry tree. I've kept one alive for 10 yrs but have only gotten a few small berries off it. Now I've bought a home near Tampa, FL. It's a small yard... about 200' x 250'. Is there a fairly small (8' or so) black mulberry tree with nice big berries?

• Bradybb WA-Zone8
    10 years ago

Betty,
    Just Fruits and Exotics has some Mulberries that might be suitable for your area.They don't look to be Morus nigra,but most produce black fruit that are probably very tasty.
    Eight feet is fairly small for most Mulberries,but they can be kept in a bush form by pruning. Brady

Here is a link that might be useful: Just Fruits and Exotics Mulberries