Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
paw paw roots: Forrest Keeling vs. Nolin

Posted by alexander3 6 (My Page) on
Sun, Nov 7, 10 at 14:34

I posted in a recent thread about getting potted paw paws from Forrest Keeling nursery. Right now, there are two nurseries licensed to sell Peterson paw paws. Nolin River Nut Tree Nursery and Forrest Feeling. Nolin sells them bare rooted, grafted on field grown root stock. Many contributors here have had difficulty with field grown bare rooted paw paws, perhaps because the roots get damaged during the bare rooting process. Certainly the roots are not intact. Forrest Keeling sells them grafted onto potted rootstock, grown using their "RPM" method. Here are pictures of both:

Nolin paw paws
From Nolin. Shenandoah on left, Wabash on right

nolin paw paw roots close up
Close up of the same two trees

Forrest Keeling paw paw roots
Susquehanna from Forrest Keeling. I shook off some of the potting medium to spread out the roots in my soil. I guess I should have held it over grass for the picture, and not soil the same color as the roots!

The apparent differences:
More root mass from Nolin
Intact roots from Forrest Keeling
Minimal tap root from Forrest Keeling
More woody roots from Nolin
More feeder roots from Forrest Keeling
Larger plants from Nolin. ~30" total shoot length from Nolin (they sell various sizes) vs ~12" total shoot length from Forrest Keeling.

Time will tell if there's a significant difference in performance. I expect the Forrest Keeling tree to put on good growth next season, with virtually no transplant shock. The trees from Nolin put on just a few inches of growth, presumably due to the expected transplant shock. Hopefully they will be over that by next season.

Alex

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: paw paw roots: Forrest Keeling vs. Nolin

Certainly big difference. I just wish it was that easy to order form keeling nursery.

o

I have an order in to F-K, done by phone. There was no problem in ordering. I haven't received the plants yet though.

I am going to do some potting-soil experiments, mainly by eliminating or varying pine bark, varying peat, and varying or eliminating vermiculite, all with about 1/4 perlite.

I have some suspicions about pine bark, and many former growers have recommended vermiculaite. Those are mainly what I will be checking.

o

I planted 5 trees from Nolin last spring. The seemed to take a while to recover and didn't seem to do too well over the summer and seemed to drop their leaves early this fall. I thought they might die.
I am more encouraged now though. We had a very mild winter here in Michigan and all my trees already have lots of buds and little twigs growing. I'm hoping they have a better second season.
Planning to fertilize with holly tone later this spring.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here