Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
woody64_gw

peach tree curl

woody64
10 years ago

I read somewhere that Iam supposed to spay my peach tree this time of the year to kill off the tree curl from this year. Can someone suggest what Iam supposed to spray with please? I read somewhere about copper spray or some thing like that but if you had to buy at the local store what would you ask for?

Comments (20)

• fireduck
    10 years ago

W...ask your local nurseryman what to use for dormant fungal protection. If you had leaf curl last summer...this drill is most important. Copper/lime and other treatments are effective if used heavily (to runoff).

• Bradybb WA-Zone8
    10 years ago

I am using Bonide's Fung-onil,who's main ingredient is Chlorothalonil.It's suppose to be strong stuff,with danger mostly to aquatic life.
    I spray about this time of year and the again around Superbowl time and once more around late March.
    One Nectarine did get a little Leaf Curl on a couple branches this year but nothing big.
    I've read that Bonide's Copper is not very effective against it,possibly too weak. Brady

• drew51 SE MI Z5b/6a
    10 years ago

Yeah they cut down on how much copper is in the liquid spray, and for some reason the powdered copper sulfate is not indicated for this use? Not sure why? Sulfur lime with a dormant oil might be an option too. Fung-oil is heavy stuff, i have some, I probably will use it. Here in zone 6 two sprays is good. The winter spray may freeze on the tree, so it's best not to.
    Also don't spay your tree, your dog, if you must, ok.

• mamuang_gw
    10 years ago

Woody,

I've used copper hydroxide called Kocide 3000 with an excellent result for the past 3-4 yrs. It helps prevent bacteria spot and Peach Leaf Curl, two major issues of peach trees.

I mixed 2 tbsp of Kocide with 1 gal of water and 1/4 cup of sticker/spreader (I use Bonide Turbo Spreader/Sticker). I spray once in late fall (just sprayed two days ago) and one more before bud break. Timing of spraying varies due to different zone hardiness. I don't want to give the month, but rather the stage of the tree development.

Liquid copper tends to be weaker and does not work as well. I ordered Kocide on line. Bonide Turbo is easier to find in stores.

• drew51 SE MI Z5b/6a
    10 years ago

Kocide 3000 is no longer available, but you can get 5000.
    Thanks for the tip! Sounds like a good product!

• woody64
    Original Author
    10 years ago

thanks guys.Kocide 3000 is still available but I dont need a 4lb bag and thats all I can find so far. Know anywhere tthat will ship smaller portions? Whats difference between 3000 and 5000? If I can't find that brand here what should i look for in any fungicide /pesticide to deal with the curl? Are there certain percentages that should be in it of a particular item ?

• drew51 SE MI Z5b/6a
    10 years ago

I guess I should have clarified, you might find it, but it is no longer manufactured. Amazon has CuPro 5000 and that is the replacement. The product is now generic as DuPont looks like they stopped making it. They sell 3 lb bags, so you have the same problem. It is stronger than 3000, so maybe a smaller amount is needed. 3000 was 46.1% 5000 is 61.3%.
    A cheaper option would be to use Fung-oil. It is a heavy duty fungicide. An excellent product that also can be used for peach scab, brown rot or shot hole fungus. Has the advantage of being able to use when the tree has leaves.
    So you could use it in the spring to treat. It appears though to be a carcinogen, at least the state of CA thinks so, so use carefully.
    I myself think copper is safer, and worth having a lifetime supply. I doubt it will go bad, and one could use a safer product for the other peach problems like Monterey Fungi fighter or Imunnox. Still with peaches you are using dangerous chemicals, as I doubt these are really any safer than fung-oil. I have fung-oil as it very effective against late blight on tomatoes.
    The safest although least effective treatment would be to use sulfur-lime in combination with an all seasons oil as a sticker. It gives the benefit of killing any over wintering insects or insect eggs. In the spring it stops scale too.
    If you are just preventing and never had leaf curl, this method makes the most sense. If you see it in the future, you should switch to copper or fung-oil.
    You should not use sulfur on apricots or pluots. Sulfur is a very useful fungicide, and safer than most.
    Another option would be to use powdered sulfur, it's super cheap. It can be used to control scab too. But Captan is better.
    I need to experiment more. I read up on what to use and when, and multiple products exist, with varying degrees of effectiveness. The best fungicide, the most effective is immunox. I don't think though you can use it for curl.

• woody64
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks bud,but amazon wont ship that to Canada. I will have to look at something else. Any treatment that has a high copper in it would be good?

• drew51 SE MI Z5b/6a
    10 years ago

I'm not sure? Copper sulfate does not list peach leaf curl. I guess the weaker liquids are better than nothng. You could also a couple weeks later hit it with sulfur too.

• mamuang_gw
    10 years ago

I got a 2 lbs container of Kocide 3000 on the Internet but can't remember which website. Honestly, if growing fruit trees is your passion, a 4 lbs bag may not be that much esp. when you grow more peaches over the years.

Once Kocide works for me, I've not looked any further. So I don't know what other people use to fight PLC if not copper spray. Hopefully, someone will chime in.

• drew51 SE MI Z5b/6a
    10 years ago

"So I don't know what other people use to fight PLC if not copper spray. Hopefully, someone will chime in. "
    Well i mentioned all kinds of stuff used. i guess I'm too wordy, and nobody actually reads my posts!
    And other people have chimed in and mentioned other products. Well 2 so far....

• olpea
    10 years ago

Woody,

You may have a bit of difficulty getting any pesticides in CA. As you are probably aware, Canada banned the sale of lawn and garden pesticides to homeowners a few years ago.

Copper hydroxide and copper sulfate both have some activity against peach leaf curl, although copper hydroxide is supposedly more effective.

I use chlorothalonil for leaf curl. As Drew points out, it is rated as a carcinogen to lab animals, as many pesticides are (including Captan) if consumed at prolonged ridiculously high doses.

I commonly use products which state something like, "This product is a known carcinogen in the state of California." Thankfully I don't live in California so the products are completely safe for me :-)

Copper hydroxide will probably also work fine for your leaf curl. Since Amazon won't ship to you, you might try ebay. I did a quick ebay search and there were several listings for copper hydroxide (Kocide). Here is one which the seller appears to ship worldwide:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/CuPRO-5000-Fungicide-Bactericide-3lb-Dry-Flowable-Copper-Hydroxide-61-3-Kocide-/280917380897?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0amp;hash=item4167fb0f21

• mamuang_gw
    10 years ago

Sorry, Drew. Did not mean to make you or any contributor feel slighted. I was too concentrated on answering Woody.

• drew51 SE MI Z5b/6a
    10 years ago

Sorry too, I have been way too touchy, and mean, etc. Thanks Olpea for chiming in, I know that was what mamuang meant, as admittedly I do lack experience. Hoping some of the experienced users comment. Olpea has helped me ton's. Directly and indirectly via reading old posts.

My advice if you can only get the weaker copper, is to also use sulfur. Not together, but about 3 weeks apart. That way you hit it in 2 directions, and that should work. Do it now when dormant and again before bud break, late winter/early spring. This combination is not just for leaf curl, it will help suppress brown rot, and other fungal diseases too. I would continue to use these products as labels suggest for other fungal problems, throughout the year. Well the sulfur anyway, as copper is probably not indicated during growth.
    It's not going to kill your tree to have some peach leaf curl, it should fruit and ripen anyway. You can keep it knocked down at least with these products.

• woody64
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks guys for all the great info. Will try eBay for that stuff. Trying to get a fall spraying in before it gets to cold and one again in early spring.

• mrsg47
    10 years ago

Woody, I bought a four lb. bag on ebay of Kiocide 3000. It works very well. It was recommended to me about 4 years ago by someone who no longer posts in this forum. He was soooo right. Try to get it. Mrs. G

• woody64
    Original Author
    10 years ago

thanks but real hard to get it mailed up here.

• beeman_gardener
    10 years ago

Lime Sulphur is readily available in Canada, I use it every year.
    Once at leaf fall complete with Dormant oil, and again in the spring without the Dormant oil. Cured my Leaf curl, no problem, most garden centres will get it for you.

• drew51 SE MI Z5b/6a
    10 years ago

Beeman thanks for your experience, yes, all products mentioned in this thread work. Some better than others but all work! Appreciate you confirming. Yes good idea to use with dormant oil as not only does it prevent other problems, it keeps the sulfur-lime on the tree longer. If you use an "all seasons" oil you can use the oil in the spring too. Which is a good idea.

• Michael
    10 years ago

I started with and have used Kocide 2000 for the last 6 or 7 years to great effect, zero PLC and shothole. I am now going to switch, temporarily, perhaps to Myclobutanil for only one reason.....copper binds to my soil and doesn't go anywhere unless the tree uses it. I am uncertain if the form of copper in Kocide 2000 is mobile in my soil. If the copper is mobile, at least the trees can get to some of it, if not the roots will never get any off the soil surface and the copper will accumulate there.