Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Not sure when the Fuyu Persimmon is ripe

Posted by desertdance So CA Zone 19 (My Page) on
Mon, Nov 18, 13 at 15:14

This tree was established on property we purchased this year. There were zero instructions. We had experience with the apple here that was attacked by various critters. The human pee seemed to work, and we employed that tactic and also put up a 3' wall of gopher wire topped by bird netting. The persimmons are safe, but the wall has been tromped down to nothing by some critter trying to get in.

We now have to navigate our safeguards to harvest the persimmons. They are pretty orange, but not quite ripe. How do you know? I have several on the counter ripening, but I really wanted them to ripen on the tree. Tough call.

suzi

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Not sure when the Fuyu Persimmon is ripe

watching this post....I tried a Fuyu that was orange and looked ripe the other day. It shriveled and became somewhat rubbery.

o

• Posted by murky z8f pnw Portlan (My Page) on
    Mon, Nov 18, 13 at 17:44

I think the Fuyu types will continue to color and sweeten after picked if they already have some decent color. I don' think you have to wait for solid orange.

o

If you have many -- after 1 yr in the ground! -- then pick one and see.

o

First sign: The fruit is 100% orange colored. Second sign: The 4 leaves attached to the top of the fruit is 100% dried, brown, and brittle. Time to EAT!!

o

I would expect all Fuyus to be ripe in S. CA by now. They've been coming in for a month and by Christmas they are hard to find, except from Israel. Still, why pick them before they are orange if there are still functioning leaves on the tree? Once the leaves turn yellow I don't think there's any point in leaving them on the tree.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here